Panning / Automation of Twin lead harmonies?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys , Just wondering what you guys do with twin leads in metal. Mixing a song right now with this , and can't decide if the leads should both be dead center , a little wide , or a lot wide. Also , there is a few bars in another part of the song where there is a 1 guitar lead , then another comes in with a harmony , then it finishes with just the 1 guitar again. How would you guys automate something like this so that when the second guitar comes in , it is audible , but when it goes back to the 1 guitar only , it doesn't sound less loud? One more thing , in metal , how many db do you usually duck the backing guitars during solos? I appreciate any help you guys can give me , lead parts always sound cluttered to me.

It depends on the composition

If its a guitar solo, with a harmony on top, I pan both down the middle

If its a guitar harmony (ie--intended for two guitarists), I pan both about 40/40. Even when one isn't playing, it simulates the "live" feel a little bit more.

twin leads as in 2 different leads happening at the same time (Sabbath, Overkill) or 2 guitarists playing the same thing at the same time? If its the 1st I would try panning out the lead that is supposed to be more prominent to somewhere between 25 - 40 and try moving the secondary lead to only like 10 - 15, either same side or opposite ... see which sounds better. Otherwise keep 'em panned equal

As for the 2nd thing you mentioned... I would keep the 1st lead panned (for example) somewhere 25 - 50 Left, when the 2nd lead comes in have the main part panned out 25 - 50 Right with the harmony same amount opposite and then for the final part keep the solo panned out to the right. Even with just a single guitarist this can give the impression of 2 guitarists "dueling" which is always cool for metal.

As for ducking the rhythms ... I usually drop mine about 1-1.5 db on the bus if I have 4 rhythm tracks and about 3db if its only 2. Bass might get dropped about 1 or 2dbs depending if its just following the rhythms but if its being adventurous during the solo parts, I'll actually keep it where its at

Thanks for the replies guys ! I will try that. Also glad you touched on the ducking of bass, that's something I was thinking about doing but didn't know if it was technically a correct thing to do during solos. Would probably make it sound less cluttered

I never duck rhythm guitars when theres only one solo track in the middle. for tiny bits of harmony on that kind of solo i go center.

for harmony lead parts i tend to go everything between 50-10, depending on what sounds best in the context.
if theres a leadpart were somtimes theres only 1 guitar, you can try 2 things:
put those parts in the center (if the dual lead part isnt panned too hard)
or to record also the other side with the same lead guitar. then theres always 2 guitars, and sometimes one plays the harmony.
i tend to do the first solution, because i dont like lead guitars on only one side.
cheers!

it doesn't sound less loud?

Don't be such a pessimist, it's LOUDER!!!:headbang:

Oh, and if you pan them both dead center, you can always use level automation to ajust it so it's not too loud.
You can try to combine both panning automation + level automation for volume ajustment.
Go with what sounds good, and for ducking, I suggest it very subtle, if needed at all, but I guess it depends on the guitar tone, and 100's of other things, lol.
Anyway, back to the question I like the panning automation alot and I often use it to create cool guitar tricks (wich we can't reproduce live, but anyway...)