Pantera fans??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't judge music purely in terms of how well it conveys an attitude because if i did i'd hail britney spears as a fantastic artist for perfectly conveying mindless consumerist teenage stupidity. i think pantera suck because their music is an extension of a godawful mindset. i am not missing the point, you act like everyone should like anything that's done well. i could rape your mother really fucking well but i bet you wouldn't like that.

...And you accuse me of oversimplifying attitudes. You can't compare fake, disingenuous, mass-produced pop like Britney Spears to a group of guys that actually care about or have some stake in what their music is about. Britney Spears is not perfectly conveying anything personality-related in her music. Pantera's music, on the other hand, has loads of personality. Why don't you just accept that Pantera is not your kind of music and leave it at that?

Britney Spears is not perfectly conveying anything personality-related in her music. Pantera's music, on the other hand, has loads of personality.

they both communicate something which means something to a lot of people, in britney's case it may be that it isn't a simple britney---->listener communication because she's manufactured and all that, but exactly the same applies. she, or the people behind her success, obviously have communicated something very clearly to a wide array of people - it's just that that something is despicable from where i'm standing. i feel exactly the same way towards pantera - if anything i should hate pantera more as artists because they no doubt had a greater degree of control and personality when making their music, and it's still horrible.

Why don't you just accept that Pantera is not your kind of music and leave it at that?

except i like the band that pantera reinterpreted in a really stupid way, so that doesn't follow. or even if you insisted pantera have to be classed separately from the band, then pantera is 'not my kind of music' and is 'your kind of music'. you're just as guilty of making claims to objectivity.

edit: to put this another way, what you're saying is that the criteria for being a great artist is clarity of expression, i'm saying that if this is the case then i have no use for the music of great artists, only the music of people i like who are great artists. and furthermore, i think the same applies to everybody else, unless you happen to like everyone in which case you're probably gay or something.

How can a moshpit be dumb? It's not even sentient. Now you're being silly.

When people call non-sentient things 'dumb' they're not ascribing some cognitive failure to said things. It makes perfect sense to say things like 'That song is dumb' or 'That movie was really stupid' or 'Your haircut looks dumb', etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.