Pantera fans??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying that every person with a Pantera shirt that I've seen was obviously a redneck is not making a generalization.

I'm just glad that for once you didn't attack me and try to call me a troll for posting about not liking a band that you like, since you post about not liking bands all the time. But unlike you, I actually explain why I don't like bands instead of just saying they suck.
From now on i'll give you a detailed essay on how every band you like sucks and why everyone should avoid listening to them.

The difference being that while I talk about not liking bands, you usually say bands suck outright. Stop being silly.

Pantera is almost too easy a target. They're like Opeth in that sense: they're so obviously awful and their fans so blatantly stupid that it borders on mere bullying to point it out.

I will now attempt to go into detail on the kind of failure this band represents, attracts, and communicates with....

*post is too long and has been truncated*

You both obviously miss the point of this band (as well as its genre, most likely), and you fail to specify anything about them which makes them (or Opeth) bad.

Pantera really is one of those "gateway" metal bands. If you never move deeper into metal you are going to find them [brutal] forever. If you do move deeper into metal they do get dull and boring on the whole.

I'm not that well acquainted with their discog - mainly Cowboys and Vulgar Display. I do kind of feel like there's some lack of substance underlying their music on the whole, but there are a few songs like "Psycho Holiday" and "Walk" which I think will never get old. They did a few really awesome and interesting songs.

I actually do think they're terrible, and every single person that I've ever seen with a Pantera shirt is a total redneck. They definitely aren't the worst band I've ever heard, but I can't see any redeeming qualities in their music.

Catchy riffs, clever rhythms, and a general air of amusingly-absurd drunken aggression?

@Seed, By watching the Pantera Home Videos (Watch It Go, Vulgar Videos), you could see how much these guys lived it up and made some decent albums in the meantime.

You both obviously miss the point of this band (as well as its genre, most likely), and you fail to specify anything about them which makes them (or Opeth) bad.

With posts like this I wonder if anyone on the board at all has any room ever calling anyone pompous and et al.

OK, how about the attitude that comes off the band and their frontman 99% of the time pisses me off by reminding me exactly of so many tough-guy stoner idiots I've known and I have no tolerance for the behavior or mindset? Maybe I dislike "absurd drunken aggression" and want to put people's faces into the wall whenever I'm confronted with it? Maybe I already see enough blatant stupidity in normal people and am tired of seeing it pushed in bands like this and many of their fans? Maybe I'm tired of that stuff not being a simple benchmark among many in metal, but a flagship? How's that?

How about the fact that I find even their better riffs to be less-mediocre chug at best and chug doesn't interest me in the slightest? Maybe the guitar tone irritates me, just as it does in Symphony X? Maybe I don't get too much into any of the 'southern' swagger and groove influence that is present in a lot of their material? Maybe Phil's vocals annoy me to no end?

Maybe 99% of every little thing about the band and their lyrics and music irritate me?

How is it me missing the point or 'not knowing what it's about'? I'm 23. I heard everything up to and including 'Trendkill' when I was 13. I got over it and never looked back. That's 10 years. I still dislike it. It doesn't help that they spawned hordes which are even worse.

I could write a book, please don't make me, just sort of accept that SOMETIMES PEOPLE HAVE REAL REASONS FOR LIKING *OR* DISLIKING THINGS. Why does it bother you and others? You already have tons of other fans to congregate with, you don't need me. Wtf?

With posts like this I wonder if anyone on the board at all has any room ever calling anyone pompous and et al.

OK, how about the attitude that comes off the band and their frontman 99% of the time pisses me off by reminding me exactly of so many tough-guy stoner idiots I've known and I have no tolerance for the behavior or mindset? Maybe I dislike "absurd drunken aggression" and want to put people's faces into the wall whenever I'm confronted with it? Maybe I already see enough blatant stupidity in normal people and am tired of seeing it pushed in bands like this and many of their fans? Maybe I'm tired of that stuff not being a simple benchmark among many in metal, but a flagship? How's that?

Okay, but I would say the attitude of a band is mostly irrelevant to their musical quality. I could just as soon call a lot of black metal bands bad because their attitude of misanthropy and anti-Christianity is retarded, but then I would be missing the point of black metal, wouldn't I?

The thing is, Pantera's attitude can be amusing if you're open to it, and just because there are a lot of stupid people who identify with it doesn't automatically strip it of value. A lot of the time we use music to experience a mindset we don't normally have, so in that regard Pantera can be interesting to someone who isn't a drunken redneck.

How about the fact that I find even their better riffs to be less-mediocre chug at best and chug doesn't interest me in the slightest? Maybe the guitar tone irritates me, just as it does in Symphony X? Maybe I don't get too much into any of the 'southern' swagger and groove influence that is present in a lot of their material? Maybe Phil's vocals annoy me to no end?

Sounds like it's just not a genre you're interested in. Granted, I don't think they excelled at writing good riffs, but as far as the genre goes they're pretty much top of the line.

Maybe 99% of every little thing about the band and their lyrics and music irritate me?

How is it me missing the point or 'not knowing what it's about'? I'm 23. I heard everything up to and including 'Trendkill' when I was 13. I got over it and never looked back. That's 10 years. I still dislike it. It doesn't help that they spawned hordes which are even worse.

I could write a book, please don't make me, just sort of accept that SOMETIMES PEOPLE HAVE REAL REASONS FOR LIKING *OR* DISLIKING THINGS. Why does it bother you and others? You already have tons of other fans to congregate with, you don't need me. Wtf?

It only bothers me inasmuch as you consider them a bad band because you dislike them. I don't give a shit whether you like them or not, but they definitely have their merits.

Okay, but I would say the attitude of a band is mostly irrelevant to their musical quality. I could just as soon call a lot of black metal bands bad because their attitude of misanthropy and anti-Christianity is retarded, but then I would be missing the point of black metal, wouldn't I?

It depends, however, when it comes to black metal of that vein, I would say it's a different animal. While I may highly disagree with many viewpoints of what bands like that present, I can listen without my IQ dropping if I choose to listen, firstly because the musical aesthetic just presents itself as much more serious than groove-southern-metal-stomp-whatever, and secondly because although many viewpoints like that are either uninformed, one-dimensional, or for shock value, that still isn't nearly the same as out and out being a dimbulb, which is most of the Pantera vibe for me both lyrically and musically.

And yeah, I could say there is merit there, obviously, nobody can realistically say there are many bands with absolutely no redeeming factors, but little things like the guitarwork in 'Floods' or the random intelligent sounding line Phil may tend to throw in with the rest of the dregs does not greatness make, no?

Re: Down I'm not much of a Down fan either but I can definitely say I would much rather listen to Down anyday instead of Pantera or any of the other projects that sprung out of Pantera.

Status
Not open for further replies.