Pantera...

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
A Prepared Statement to Guitar World Readers From Dimebag Darrell...

"What's up with PANTERA? I'd like to know myself. I thought Pantera would be the Rolling Stones of heavy metal, but PHIL and REX seem content with doin' their own stuff.

It's really weird, but this is the clear-headed, honest truth: they've up and left us hangin' and won't let us know their intentions or future plans. For the last 20 years, my brother VINNIE and I have put our heart and soul into Pantera and we never thought this situation would ever happen to us. By now I thought for sure we would've done another record, but they don't seem to care how it affects Vinnie and I, or the road crew or, most of all, all the Pantera fans that have been so fuckin' awesomely great to us for so long. We've made several attempts to talk to those guys and they keep putting us off. This is not a situation we've created--it's a situation we've been forced into.

Bottom line, for Vinnie and me it's all about the music, kickin' ass and havin' a good time. So we've got together with some of our close buds and formed a new band called NEW FOUND POWER. The record is almost done and will be out soon. We've put 110 percent into it, just like we always do, so I guarantee you won't be let down. "

Dimebag Darrell

Am I the only one who thinks that getting rid of Phil is good? Maybe the new guy will actually be able to sing and string a coherent sentence together live.

This sounds quite interesting, though I doubt they went back to their glam roots Troops :)

I've never liked Pantera. They'd have to be one of the only 'big' 90's metal bands that I never cared for in any manner.

Boring..

Vulgar Display Of Power has some good stuff on it, but other than that, they meet with a resounding "meh" from me too.

Dime is an awesome guitarist when he actually plays solos, and Vinnie is an amazing drummer too... All they need is a great singer (like Phil used to be *sigh*) and some good songs, and they're set!

Sounds simple, right? HAHA! Let's just wait and see...!

I don't like them either really except Cowboys From Hell and Power Metal which really are killer metal albums.

And the glam stuff was great fun, had lots of potential if it was produced half decently....

And I agree, Dimebag was a great guitarist. The solos in "We'll Meet Again", "Psycho Holiday", "The Sleep" etc are just awesome.

Do you know who the singer is? Patrick Lachman. The ex guitarist from Halford! Metal.

i liked Cowboys From Hell, and it showed that Phil was an awesome singer but after that they just started to play shit. Ive got nothing against vinnie or dimebag, phil is a dick

Haupy you have to check out Power Metal then :) It's like a more '80s version of Cowboys From Hell (very Priest actually) with Phil doing lots of high vocals and lots of big long excellent Dimebag solos! "Rock The World" is a great anthem! "Power Metal" is pure '80s speed metal... "We'll Meet Again" is a great hard rock song with a huge solo and "Hard Ride" is also excellent hard rock... "Proud To Be Loud" is another huge metal anthem... "Over & Out" and "Death Ride" are '80s thrash..... awesome album!

Personally i like The Great Southern Trendkill and Reinventing the steal(stupid name for an album*sigh*) and Vulgar Display is still theur best ever album

The Live one was good too, i might be the biggest fan of 'em here i think. And Phil while a drunk is a very creative guy, he does better in Down than he does in Pantera IMHO

I used to fucking love the band, back in the mid 90s. Cowboys and Vulgar are by far my favourites (haven't heard their earlier stuff). If Phil wasn't such a fucked singer now, and Darrell played like he used to, then they could still be good. I'm looking forward to hearing this new group.

Originally posted by The Trooper
Haupy you have to check out Power Metal then :) It's like a more '80s version of Cowboys From Hell (very Priest actually) with Phil doing lots of high vocals and lots of big long excellent Dimebag solos! "Rock The World" is a great anthem! "Power Metal" is pure '80s speed metal... "We'll Meet Again" is a great hard rock song with a huge solo and "Hard Ride" is also excellent hard rock... "Proud To Be Loud" is another huge metal anthem... "Over & Out" and "Death Ride" are '80s thrash..... awesome album!

is that album hard to find?

Originally posted by Haupassia
is that album hard to find?

One of the hardest to find albums that exists (along with the first 3!). You can really only download it. I just have burnt CDs of the first 4 albums... the first 3 were never even released on CD and the mp3s are ripped from vinyls apparently. They were all pretty much self released albums with only a small number printed and because Pantera are ashamed of them now they pretend they never recorded them....

I can see why with the first 3.... they are VERY average (plus they are glam). Although Pantera have never made a secret of how they love Kiss, Van Halen, etc. and the first 3 albums are pretty much Kiss meets Van Halen type sound with a little Priest thrown in. Very very average songs though. Lots of potential, but badly arranged and produced. Some great riffs and choruses throughout though and killer attitude. Songs like Heavy Metal Rules, All Over Tonight, Like Fire, In Over My Head, Come On Eyes, etc. would sound great if they were recorded properly!

But Power Metal NEEDS to be re-released. It's just excellent big riff heavy metal alot like Judas Priest and has great production (like a less heavy Cowboys sound). The songs are also excellent and the musicianship is probably the best out of any album.... Dimebag's solos are simply amazing! Very Randy Rhoadsish with that unpredictable EVH flair as well... great!

PM me your address if you want a copy of it, I can burn it for you.... the first 3 too if you want. The very first one totally absolutely sucks though... worst production I have ever heard and only 2 songs that even have potential to be good. The rest is dreadful. The next 2 are pretty cool.