Pantera

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I got the new guitar world in the mail a couple days back. Great cover with Zakk & Dimebag on the cover in camo. They look like they are on their way to War with Iraq or something. In there there's a letter from Dime to Rex & Phil. I think this is the same one that Babblmouth got a hold of & printed on their site. He's basically calling them out. I figured there would be another Pateran Record I guess we'll have to wait & see?! What the hell is happing to these bands?!:yow: :loco:

Originally posted by union9
They probably sniffed the sinking ship that is Pantera. All Phills side projects rocked way more than Reinventing the steel.

No doubt Down is great band. I just didn't care much for Super Joint Ritual. I don't know if Dime & Vinnie were just getting restless or jealious of the attention the other guys are/were getting? Yeah, the last two Pantera records haven't faired well & they weren't very good. I don't know if the ship is sinking or if it sunk a year ago & we didn't know it...

I dont get how many seem to not like their Great Southern Trendkill and Reinventing The Steel albums but I loved it man. What's wrong with those albums? Maybe the songs on the GSTK sounded forcefully heavy and they moved away from lyrical content wasn't as good but I loved the melodic songs like 10's and Floods on it. Man, those songs were very dark but pretty beautiful. They still had that pumping aggression and the catchiness which is the strength of Pantera. Yeah, the songs on Reinventing The Steel got predictable but they went for straight forward heaviness and I liked that. The vocals by Anselmo were pretty awesome I think and those hate songs like We'll Grind That Axe For Along Time is something I can't forget. So what Pantera album do you all like best?

I must admit, I really am a HUGE pantera freak. I still think the first three are the best as well with Vulgar...being my fav. But I still dig the later albums. I just don't return to them as often. But I totally dig Superjoint and Down.

Originally posted by union9
I must admit, I really am a HUGE pantera freak. I still think the first three are the best as well with Vulgar...being my fav. But I still dig the later albums. I just don't return to them as often. But I totally dig Superjoint and Down.
:headbang:

The thing I liked about Down is that Phil actually tried to sing again. He's got a good voice when he uses it for something other than screaming. I mean, the screaming on the last couple Pantera albums and Superjoint Ritual is okay in small doses, but I can't listen to them over and over.

Originally posted by coronerox
I don't think so..........I didn't like it.......
I like only the first 3......I mean the official ones........(besides Power Metal, Metal Magic and stuff)

Cowboys, Vulgar and Far Beyond..........but I'm not a HUGE fan......just a regular fan

Sums me up. I used to be a HUGE fan though. It will be sad to see them go if it happens. But, as they say. Better to end on a high than be remebered for being stale and boring.

Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power were great albums, and 2 of the best metal albums ever. Far Beyond Driven was definitely a re hash of Vulgar...full of filler tracks too. I thought Trendkill was slightly better, with unique songs like Floods and Suicide Notes, but still wasn't *great*. Reinventing the Steel was just all too simple for me, and there was no melody. But hey, at least I got to see them on Extreme Steel with Slayer ( the real reason I went). Once a great band, but I saw this coming.

We'll Grind That Axe For A Long Time is my anthem song.
"I smell the air and it smells like chickin shit! *solo starts"

i recently got cowboys from hell and really like it, same with far beyond driven. have heard a few songs off reinventing the steel which sounded like good stuff. haven't really heard vulgar display of power but judging by what's been said here that's the onei should be getting next... pantera rock though.

Pantera rocks, but every band has to quit sometime. Now is not a bad time to leave. I don't think they need eachother anymore, and if they are feeling stiffled or whatever, a break up would be the best.

Pantera is/was a great band, probably the most influential to me. Love em, but kinda ready to see them go. Superjoint is great, the latest Down was awesome, it was great hearing Phil try to sing again.

To keep with others topics, Grind the Axe I didn't like when I heard it, but when the played it during the Extreme Steel tour, I feel in love. One of Pantera's finest live songs made to date. :headbang:

I have never been a big fan of the Phil era Pantera. Growing up here in Dallas, I have seen that band go from glam to hardcore and I would definitely say that their power metal years were their best.
The story has it now that Rex and Vinnie are in a new band called New Found Power, or just NFP for short with a couple of new guys and it's gonna be more of the power metal sort of stuff that they were so great at.