Part II of Mixing Metal in Dec SoS

I'm reading through the first article now and IMO it's a great place to start for those looking to consolidate the basics. The information seems to be spot on for the most part, and a reflection of the scattered conversations that have occurred here over the years. It's stuff that most who have hung around here for a year or two would know well, but it never hurts to re-tread the basics.

I'm reading through the first article now and IMO it's a great place to start for those looking to consolidate the basics. The information seems to be spot on for the most part, and a reflection of the scattered conversations that have occurred here over the years. It's stuff that most who have hung around here for a year or two would know well, but it never hurts to re-tread the basics.

Yes i suppose that is true. Maybe its because it was called a masterclass when its pretty much a beginners guide. I can see why people would like it as typical human nature nowadays wants everything together in one place so they dont have to waste too much energy doing their own research. If you read the books i listed you will get all this x100 in a lot more depth. Also the other problem i have with these magazine articles is they just regurgitate the same old stuff and try and repackage it as something new. Give or take a handful of things there is little specific to extreme metal in the articles, but then thats the nature of production.

The reality is that a lot of the information on the internet is disembodied and oft times can come from questionable sources, without the reader ever knowing. Does somebody getting into metal tracking for the first time need to be learning their guitar mic'ing techniques from some 16 year old in his bedroom? Forums allow for this, and the anonymous nature of the posters frequently facilitates for this sort of thing to happen rampantly.

At least with this article the information is consolidated and comes from something resembling a vaguely credible source. At the *very* least, it is supplemented by footage of The Sneap and Russel. I find it useful because I like the information in my mind to be supported by other sources. If you find enough credible sources of agreement on a particular technique, then chances are you're onto something.

The information is there - take it or leave it. If it doesn't teach you anything new, move on because you're not going to gain anything by bitching about it :)

The information is there - take it or leave it. If it doesn't teach you anything new, move on because you're not going to gain anything by bitching about it :)

My point exactly - and given that Mr. Mynett sought out and garnered information for this article from the one and only Andy Sneap might be interesting to those that read this forum given it's name and all that.

I enjoyed reading both articles. I also emailed Mark to ask him for a little advice, he was quick respond and sounded like a friendly guy.

This phd he's doing sounds really cool and I asked him about it. He said he'll be able to supervise them in around 7-8 months time so I may well go for it once I've finished my masters.

i think they did a great job for beginners in recording metal!
also they bringt out certain aspects, that i personally had forgotten about!
really enjoyed those articles. i really like this section called "rescue the mix" . really cool idea!

Can you elaborate on that phd a bit? I found it weird that any institution in the world would offer a phd specializing in recording modern metal music. Seems awfully useless in theory.

I agree,.. I'd love to know what his thesis question is!

Would be great to get him on this forum actually,.. He may teach / learn a lot!

i lived in the states last year and there were people studying for phds in just about anything