Particular string always getting out of tune?

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Hi,
As some of you may know that I do more of the engineering things, but I occasionally play guitar too, just to keep myself entertained and write down ideas, not to entertain others (I leave it to those who are interested in that kind of shit and just sell my licks to them :heh:).

I was just thinking does anyone have any idea what is causing this, its really driving me nuts. The problem: Everytime I play for a while, my guitars do stay otherwise in tune, except the G-string. I don't really have to play for more than 5 minutes and the G-string goes out of tune, but the others stay pretty much in tune.

I play only rhythm guitar stuff (so mainly barre- and powerchords), and I usually play in standard tuning or drop D. I currently use 10-46 gauge set, but I've tried with heavier sets, but I didn't quite like any of them and I think heaviest was 13-56 and it they didn't seem to take the problem away.

This happens with new and old strings and I've experienced this problem with all of my own guitars and atleast 7 or 8 other guitars... I've tried cheap and expensive guitars with tuneomatics, floyd roses and whatnot, even tried with a 2000€ ESP Eclipse in a guitarstore, but the same thing happened. All the strings except the G were in tune after 5 minutes of playing.

What is wrong with my technique, or am I not alone with my problem?

Tuning problems are (in my opinion) usually caused by factors that are often overlooked.

#1: Unstretched strings!
#2: Poorly slotted nuts!

Most production guitars nowadays (except floyd nuts usually) are poorly slotted and made out of cheap plastic.

-Joe

oh yeah, for nuts and especially bridges, like TOMs. you can use an abrasive cord, such as Mitchell's Abrasive Sanding Cords and get the size you think you might need. this will smooth out the slots in bridges and nuts, or you can get a good smooth diamond file.

the g-strings is most likely to go out of tune (on sets with a plain g-string) because it's the thickest string.
tiny tension-changes result in more detuning than on thinner strings.

Yeah properly slotted nut or not, I do notice my G going out of tune most, or I tune it ever so slightly flat on my Les Paul.

-Joe

the g-strings is most likely to go out of tune (on sets with a plain g-string) because it's the thickest string.
tiny tension-changes result in more detuning than on thinner strings.

Is there any ways to go around this? Change to a stringset that has a wounded G-string instead of plain G-string, like DAddario EXL115W (11-49, with .021 wounded G-string) or EJ20 (10-49, with .022 wounded G-string)?

I have this same problem on my gibson sg: My G string always goes out of tune, even if i stretch it A LOT. After sometime, if i re-stretch it, I can hear pops as if something was loose. Is this the string ´jumping´ on the poorly slotted nut or my tuners are loose ?

Strat players sometimes use a graphite based lubricant on the nut to help facilitate the string sliding properly at the nut. You could try using a sharpened pencil if you don't have the money or wherewithal to get it filed properly.

Groove-Luber.jpg

When you stop laughing at the name, buy some. Works great!

haha, "nut sauce." after you get some of that, you can go to Denny's and get the Roll Over Fruit Slam.

I was going to say G string before I even read that was the one. Every axe I've ever had has a slight G string issue. My current #1 guitar with a roller nut has less of a problem, but yeah, that's always the odd ball.

Eh, it's all about just getting a custom set with the right tension - my .22w Eb (G string in C-standard tuning) is PERFECTION