Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
PASSENGER - PASSENGER
Century Media - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

album1.jpg

Sometimes ideas that seem good on paper or with discussions between individuals such just be kept as that, an idea and not followed through. Passenger is the brainchild of Patrik Stein (Transport League) and Niclas Engelin (Gardenian) who wanted to play music that wasn't as heavy as with their bands. With Anders Friden (In Flames) and Hakan Skoger thrown in the mix, the band was born, which was a definite negative for the rest of us.

This is music that is definitely geared to the "nu-metal" crowd that like bands such as Linkin Park. Unfortunately, I am not one of those fans and I highly doubt that the majority of people reading these pages are fans of that genre. Songs are lighter, catchy but in a simple sort of way and frankly not very imaginative. Also, some of the techno/industrial samples used throughout Passenger definitely do nothing to enhance the appeal but rather make me hate the album a little more.

Positives? Are there any to talk about? Maybe the only one is that Anders's clean singing continues to improve but at times he sounds totally annoying, so that's not all that positive at all.

I can appreciate the fact that the band members wanted to take the opportunity to write music that is vastly different to what they are used to playing but that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Century Media Website
Passenger Official Website

It was going to be way too easy to write this one off, but I don't agree that Passenger is "nu-metal". I was in fact surprised at how 80's & 90's retro it sounds - along the lines of Depeche Mode meeting early Bush. Now if that qualifies as "nu-metal" then so be it, but to me "nu-metal" is all about white boys trying to rap, scratching records, and shouting over three-chord rhythm structures. Passenger, albeit a semi-average release, does have some ingenious moments if you don't typically run screaming from dark-wave pop rock. You just have to forget the fact that one band member happens to be in In Flames...

So far i've just heard a few songs, and belive me. This is not nu-metal. Just like JayKeeley said... boys trying to rap and that stuff.
But you must have an open mind to listen to Passenger, you must be one of those persons who listen to whatever they want, no matters what other people might say.
Its a good record. But not a record for everybody.

Rodrigo, it sounds like you listened to "In Reverse" and assumed the rest of the album sounded that way...Which it certainly doesn't. In fact, I wish they left IR off the cd entirely, because it kills the vibe. *shrug*