Passive replacement for EMG-81 in my Charvel?

RiF

Dec 29, 2007
Germany
www.planet-goth.de
I want to replace the EMG-81 in my Charvel 750XL with a new passive humbucker.

In comparison to my Les Paul Standard, the Charvel (mahogany through-neck and body, maple top) is quite bass and mid heavy in it's natural sound with a little lack of presence and attack.

So I am searching for something aggressive with a tight bass and probably a little scoop in the mids plus attack clarity and some presence to compensate for the natural sound of the wood.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Above two posts are literally right on the money. I've tried both of them and they're exactly what you described. I'm still using the nailbomb actually. The Duncan definitely wasn't bad by any means, the nailbomb just suited my style more.

I had the SH-6 (Duncan Distorion) already on my shortlist, but I've read that the SH-6 is a little on the bass heavy side. Is it still a good fit for an already bass /low-mid heavy guitar?
How does it compare, regarding bass/presence/attack clarity, to the EMG-81?

+1 to the bkp nailbomb

i also really like the dimarzio dominion (mark morton sig) that i have in my shred guitar

here is a sample of what they sound like from our own max morton

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also suggest a Duncan Distortion based on what you said. It's not bass heavy. It's a fairly even response with good clarity.

The Duncan Distortion is not muddy, but it definitely definitely has more going on in the low end than the 81.

Maybe DiMarzio Super 2? Im running into the exact same issue with my Jackson Dinky and am looking into the Super 2 and D activator neck myself.

I had the SH-6 (Duncan Distorion) already on my shortlist, but I've read that the SH-6 is a little on the bass heavy side.

this is false. it depends on the guitar and most of the time on the electronics.
i have a SH-6 in the bridge position and it CUTS. there is no tone pot (kills hi end) in my guitar though ;)