PAUL BOSTAPH On Rejoining SLAYER: 'Why Wouldn't I? I Missed It'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a brand new interview with Alibi.com, SLAYER drummer Paul Bostaph was asked why decided to rejoin the band again in 2013 after previously leaving the group twice. He responded: "Why wouldn't I? I missed it. I love this style of music. I played with some other great bands, but this particular band and the way we perform together is relentless."He continued: "SLAYER appeals to me on a physical level, on a musical level. I crave the sweat. I wanna feel like — when it's all done, that there's nothing left in the tank. I hate getting off stage and feeling like, 'What's next?' I wanna play until there's nothing left. That's what SLAYER is all about."Bostaph added: "With us, there's something about the energy of performance. It's not just energy we're creating, it's energy that's floating around. It's a conductive atmosphere. We're passing this jolt of power among ourselves and through the audience. It elevates me; it elevates our playing and the audience's response. It's a lot like surfing, waiting for the perfect wave. It's a blast, dude."Asked how he approaches drumming for one of the heaviest units in modern music, Bostaph said: "I try to keep as physically fit as possible. I'm no spring chicken. I'm not an old man either. When I was 23, I could just sit down and I was ready. Now I swim, I bike, I try to do things to keep my body moving, to keep my cardiovascular health good. I watch what I eat and take care of myself. I've always kinda done that anyway, but mostly, I've realized you've got to stay hungry. There's a certain attitude that comes with wanting to do this well. You can't just show up and be SLAYER, you have to live it. It's a mindset; it's always on ... it's not like flipping a switch, but you gotta stay hungry."Due on September 11, SLAYER's new CD, "Repentless", will mark the band's first effort without both co-founding guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who passed away in 2013, and original drummer Dave Lombardo, who was fired from the group earlier that same year.
slayer2015promobandcolornew_638.jpg

More...