Paul Bostaph's gear

Ken Kaniff

Jul 19, 2004
P.O.L.A.N.D.
Another Paul thread. This time around a technical question.
TL, if Paul can't answer directly, could you ask him to expalin why he uses two separate drum kicks instead of one bass drum with a double pedal?

Different drummers must have different reasons, what is his?

I'm a drummer and I use one bass drum with a double pedal. This is because:
a) two drums are more expensive ten one (call me a rocket scientist :) )
b) one drum kick is easier to transpost
c) one drum kick is easier to tune

I suppose Paul doesn't have any of the above problems.

Ken Kaniff said:
I'm a drummer and I use one bass drum with a double pedal. This is because:
a) two drums are more expensive ten one (call me a rocket scientist :) )
b) one drum kick is easier to transpost
c) one drum kick is easier to tune

I suppose Paul doesn't have any of the above problems.
Exactly. He's a pro, he uses the best, and has people to tune them for him, and transport them. :tickled:

I don't think Testament's ever had a drummer that uses a single kick w/ double pedal.

This is what Paul was using not that long ago .... From Tama's site ....

TAMA

drums:

SC MAPLE

color:

CHERRY BLACK

sizes:

(2) 18X22 Bass Drums, 8X10, 9X12, 10X14 Mounted Toms, 16X16, 16X18 Floor Toms, 14X20 Gong Bass, 6.5 X14 Maple Snare, 3.25 X 14 Bell Brass Snare

hardware:

HTW89, HH95XH, HTC97, HS90, HC94B, HC104TB

throne:

HT410/55L

pedal:

HP900P

hi-hat stand:

HH905

another big thing is that it sounds much better, because its not as hard on one drum, it wears our the drum heads much faster when using a double pedal also, and two good pedals beats one good double pedal anyday with response and tightness in my opinion

METALinVEINS said:
another big thing is that it sounds much better, because its not as hard on one drum
I posted the question as I'm not too sure about that. And I'm not discussing my sound, as comparing to Johnny Tempesta or Paul I have no soud at all :D Look at the drummer using one kick: Joey - Slipknot (1st LP + all the tours up until the release of 'Iowa'), Death Angel, Mudvayne, KoRn (even though Dave isn't big on the kicks anymore) etc
So, I'm sure these guys endorse drum related products and can afford any kit.

METALinVEINS said:
it wears our the drum heads much faster when using a double pedal
This may be true; still not an explanation :D Thanks for your comments anyways. Waiting for more.

nice question
well it could be a technical or sound preference... but maybe its a bit like the equivalent in a guitarist's rig...
i'd say that a good majority of guitarists enjoy the idea of playing through a wall of marshalls, when only a halfstack is actually necessary!
put this towards a metal drummer and they'll definitely think the idea of having a double bass kit would be fun, at least...
i'm not a drummer but I know what my drummer thinks anyway...

I'm guessing Paul would also use some kind of triggers for his kick drums. Therefore perfect tuning of both kicks isn't really nessecary. But as someone above said, he's a pro, he doesn't have to worry about that stuff.

Main reason why he uses 2 kicks = Because he can.

I don't know if he triggers his kicks. On his last Testament tour John Tempesta didn't and still kicked some major ass with his sound.

Also, musicians A L W A Y S tune their instruments! Although I don't have triggers I bet the quality of your signal before being orocessed (read = well tuned drums) influences the final outcome.
Lastly, I 've read that some drummers combine triggers and mikes. I think Vinnie Paul does so.

I don't know if he triggers his kicks. On his last Testament tour John Tempesta didn't and still kicked some major ass with his sound.

Also, musicians A L W A Y S tune their instruments! Although I don't have triggers I bet the quality of your signal before being orocessed (read = well tuned drums) influences the final outcome.
Lastly, I 've read that some drummers combine triggers and mikes. I think Vinnie Paul does so.
Actually I'm pretty sure he would.. it's almost common practice these days, especially in metal. I aint saying he's triggered 100%... it would be a combination of triggered sample + real mic sound. Dynamics are still important unless you're in a band like Fear Factory.

Vinnie Paul is definitely triggered. You'd be hard pressed finding a metal drummer these days who doesn't use them in some way.. on the professional level anyway.

trigs-ddrum.jpg

trigs-triggerfinger.jpg

The pictures show most commonly used triggers by metal drummers. In a nutshel, they are electronic sensors that pick up the drum head motion. The signal is processed by a computer program and you arrive at the final sound. The better your sample bank is the better sound you can have. The idea is to have your drumms sound consistently no matter where you play, small club or an outdoor show.

You guys forgot to mention Paul's play shitty component of his drums, wait a sec, thats just him.

Don't you guys love the internet, and Ken welcome to the UM weboard were elitism runs rampant, I would know b/c well....I'm an elitist asshole.

As far as Paul not using the double-bass pedal on one bass drum. It may be a feel issue. Lots of drummers just can't get used to the feel of a double-bass pedal on one bass drum. There was a thread over on the Pearl Forum about this several months ago.

Plus, some drummers think that they get more definition during really fast patterns/tempos using two bass drums vs. the double-bass pedal. In the end, it all comes down to what works for you. I admit that a double-bass pedal is a lot easier to carry around and is a lot cheaper is some cases. I prefer the feel of two bass drums, though.