Pay To Play

Originally posted by Valofvalhalla

HOW DOES AN USIGNED BAND MAKE IT IN THE BUSINESS NOW? Your tips and leads would be greatly appreciated.

Seriously, it takes luck and knowing the right people. Talent means nothing (it's good to have it, but it doesn't factor in to whether a band is successful -- look at Kittie :)). It's all in who one knows and being at the right place at the right time.

Plus, it also depends on one's definition of "making it." Does "making it" mean signed to a major label, putting out CDs that are sold at Tower Records and Best Buy, opening for big-name acts on the European leg of their world tour and having roadies set up and tear down gear?

Or does "making it" mean being able to walk around town and have a few people stop and ask "hey, you're the bass player of [*insert band name here*], aren't you!" before requesting your autograph, then cheerfully going back to the office for the rest of your day-job.

If #1, then it will take luck, knowing the right people, and the willingness to spend 2-10 years on the amateur circuit, paying for everything yourself and seeing no profit anywhere, playing and recording your hearts out to build a following large enough independently to attract a label's attention (because in truth, a major label will only come calling if you really don't need them).

If #2, then it just takes playing any and every gig you can get, whether you get paid or not (and in this day, it's rare that a band will get paid any decent amount of money to live on). Pound the pavement, shake hands, meet people, expand contacts, do everything yourself.

Yes, it's difficult. Yes, it takes a lot of work. And yes, it's frustrating as hell.

And no, there is no quick answer. Otherwise, everyone who's in a band could call themselves "professional musicians." :D

Actually, the easiest way is to pay for and record your own album, and shop it around to various labels.

If a label picks you up and gives you distribution, then you can start doing little mini-tours and crap.

To "make it?"... Unless you're one of the few bands Morbid, Cannibal, Malevolent, etc... you will never "make it"...

I think he's referring to fame, fortune and glory.

That doesn't happen in metal anymore.

If you're looking for that, then try playing some NU-pop.

Originally posted by Crimson Warlock

Plus, it also depends on one's definition of "making it." Does "making it" mean signed to a major label, putting out CDs that are sold at Tower Records and Best Buy, opening for big-name acts on the European leg of their world tour and having roadies set up and tear down gear?
If #1, then it will take luck, knowing the right people, and the willingness to spend 2-10 years on the amateur circuit, paying for everything yourself and seeing no profit anywhere, playing and recording your hearts out to build a following large enough independently to attract a label's attention (because in truth, a major label will only come calling if you really don't need them).

If #2, then it just takes playing any and every gig you can get, whether you get paid or not (and in this day, it's rare that a band will get paid any decent amount of money to live on). Pound the pavement, shake hands, meet people, expand contacts, do everything yourself.

Yes, it's difficult. Yes, it takes a lot of work. And yes, it's frustrating as hell.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Yes, the dream would be tower records, (not KMart lol). They have toured the US now about 2 or 3 times. The best states played so far or Rapid City, SD and Minn. MN. The people there bought lots of c.d.s. and loved their music. They work hard to achieve their goals and are now writing in the studio again, ready to tour the US again and work what little is left of their asses off! As far as doing everything ourselves, you nailed the nail on the coffin. Why pay someone that is not going to perform to our expectations? Promoters want $20K. and that's for a good one. Hell, if I could afford that, I would do it for them because they deserve it. They get a lot of response from the European countries. You are RIGHT in that respect. As far as spending 2-10 years, I whole-heartedly agree with you. They have been touring now since 98. If I can get just one big-wig to hear KILL YOU AGAIN AND HATE EXHAUST, I think we would be in business. They had such a cult following a while back when they were DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. Since then, their sound has far surpassed D.V.

Once again, thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

ozzfest is super expensive to get on that tour. pretty much have to sell your soul to the devil for that spot. It makes milwaukee seem seriously cheap.

I enjoy the metalfest experience each year despite the issues

Originally posted by Valofvalhalla

Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Yes, the dream would be tower records, (not KMart lol). They have toured the US now about 2 or 3 times. The best states played so far or Rapid City, SD and Minn. MN. The people there bought lots of c.d.s. and loved their music. They work hard to achieve their goals and are now writing in the studio again, ready to tour the US again and work what little is left of their asses off! As far as doing everything ourselves, you nailed the nail on the coffin. Why pay someone that is not going to perform to our expectations? Promoters want $20K. and that's for a good one. Hell, if I could afford that, I would do it for them because they deserve it. They get a lot of response from the European countries. You are RIGHT in that respect. As far as spending 2-10 years, I whole-heartedly agree with you. They have been touring now since 98. If I can get just one big-wig to hear KILL YOU AGAIN AND HATE EXHAUST, I think we would be in business. They had such a cult following a while back when they were DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. Since then, their sound has far surpassed D.V.

Once again, thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

Sounds like the band is doing just fine as an indie. I'm sure you mean that the band would like to get bigger (who wouldn't? ;)), but really -- you might not be rolling in the cash, but the band is doing more than 80% of bands in existence could do: play gigs.

Not only playing gigs, but actually traveling, playing shows outside of the hometown, AND building a following.

This is the kind of noise the majors like to listen to. If the band builds its own following, with cash flow and name recognition, then the label is going to want a piece of that action. And what better band to sign than one that does its own work, enabling a label to make money for free?

But then, when a band gets to that point, the band really doesn't need the label anyway.

So tell the band to keep doing what they're doing, because they're doing something right. If they've been touring the country for the last four years, building a following, and selling records on their own, then they don't need a major label to do the same thing, except take more profits and weasel their way in to creative control.

They don't need a big-wig major label. There are more avenues now for indie bands to look huge than there were several years ago, thanks to the Internet. There are ways for indies to get their records into the big stores and what-not; you just have to look for it.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Crimson Warlock

Not only playing gigs, but actually traveling, playing shows outside of the hometown, AND building a following. Strongest Following? NORTH & SOUTH DAKOTA & MN

So tell the band to keep doing what they're doing, because they're doing something right. If they've been touring the country for the last four years, building a following, and selling records on their own, then they don't need a major label to do the same thing, except take more profits and weasel their way in to creative control. TRUE CRIMSON, BUT IMAGINE WHO THEY WOULD BE TOURING WITH.........:)

They don't need a big-wig major label. There are more avenues now for indie bands to look huge than there were several years ago, thanks to the Internet. There are ways for indies to get their records into the big stores and what-not; you just have to look for it. GOT ANY HINTS? :)

Good luck!
:D