Paypal orders the destruction of $2,500 Violin

Update: PayPal has contacted The Register via its PR agency to point out the reason that the destruction of goods exists in its terms and conditions. "The reason why we reserve the option to ask the buyer to destroy the goods is that in many countries, including the US, it is a criminal offense to mail counterfeit goods back to a seller", we are told.

Well, it makes sense.

Because you give him a chance to try again. Which in a way makes you an accomplice. If I was selling fake Gibson guitars on eBay and all that could happen to me would be buyers returning their goods to me, now THAT would be a business.

so how would they ever know the violin (or any item for that matter) is actually destroyed? counterfeit goods usually aren't of absolute zero value, like this violin here.

paypal was probably doing this by the book, but i still can't help but feel a bit of "fuck you" on paypal's behalf...

ive been fucked in the ass by paypal twice. first time i bought something that never arrived... i won the claim, but the seller had already removed their bank details so i wasnt able to get any money from it. second time i sold a few fair of drumsticks for 50$ and the seller disputed and i provided evidence of it being sent, but they still won for some reason...

How does it make sense that it´s illegal to mail counterfeit goods back to the seller?

Because you give him a chance to try again. Which in a way makes you an accomplice. If I was selling fake Gibson guitars on eBay and all that could happen to me would be buyers returning their goods to me, now THAT would be a business.

This.