PC or self-contained studio???

jim

Vocalist - Guitarist
Apr 17, 2001
Mystic, CT
vmp.homestead.com
I've been looking into setting up a small digital recording studio in order to do my own recordings and perhaps make some $$ recording for local bands, artists, etc.

This means, of course, that I need to have multiple inputs. I've seen some combo rack mount/soundcards that give you multi-input. They seem to range from $600 - $1200 or so.

I've also seen some very nice self-contained studios (with PC connectivity) like this:

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=D32XD

It runs around $2000 - $2500. Everything you need to do a complete CD, minus the mics.

Anyone have any experience with any self-contained studio gear?

No experience with a contained unit. Several peoplw I know do have mini-recording studios..,.but they use their PC and pro-tools...along with external mixers if they need more than 8 inputs. The pro-tools hardware/soundcard itself allows for 8 simultaneuos tracks.

Let me know what you end up doing and how it turns out. I wish I had the cash..right now I am trying to save up to buy a variax guitar.

How is the exxplorer thing going?

I'm afraid the Exxplorer thing is dead or dying. They have no ambition, but I'm there if they decide to ever do anything.

I'm planning on writing and recording my own CD now. I'll do it solo (with the exception of drums and perhaps a guest musician or two). When its done and if I think its good, I'm going to buy either a contained studio or a PC add-on (digi-1000 pro tools or one of the other digitial multi-input devices). I'll market it to Exxplorers euro label (they suck big time though), and perhaps to some other euro labels. I'll parley my Exxplorer gig for all its worth! :)

Never heard of a variax? Any links to it?

Dude, that git looks killer! As you know, I've got the POD, so I love Line6.

How much is that bad boy????

Yeah, I'm bummed about the Exxplorer thing, but who knows what will happen? At least it was an opportunity to do something at that level, even if was only 4 songs on a re-release.

Man - that 700 series in red or blue looks smokin! Can't wait till you get one and give me a review!

The 500 series goes for about 900...i've seen it as cheap as 800. The 700 lists for 1300. I have not seen actual prices for it anywhere.

Yea..i've been tyring to decide between the red and blue..

I'm really interested in hearing how it 'feels' when you play it... it looks like it would have as similar feel to my Aria Pro II, which is the nicest git I've ever played (in terms of neck, action, body size, etc.)

Let me know! Also, I'd be interested in reading more on how the damn thing actually works. I am assuming it plays exactly like a regular git (tuning, action, intonation, muting, etc. etc.)

Jim.....posted in the other thread first...but it sounds like you want to try and accomplish the same thing I do...except not being a homeowner, I'm stuck dragging my gear around for now....ehhn. Recording here is pretty much a given "no".

Anyways, I've gotten some 'experience' recording our band (and being the one to buy everything), to the point where I think I would do pretty good recording someone else.

I'm going with a PC recording method...I like it better...but thats just me. I'm running a 2.3 GHz with 1/2 gig of memory, and an 80 gig HD...but I think I'll invest in another. Simply put, my recording chain goes as follows: Mics--->Tascam 12 chan. mixer (8 bus)--->bus outs--->Delta 1010 breakout box---> 1010 PCI card. That's pretty much it. As far as all together gear...it consists of:

Recording PC (Cakewalk Pro Audio, Cool Edit 2.0, N-track)
12 Channel Mixer
Delta 1010 Card/Breakout Box
4 Nady DM70s(mic pack - tom mics)
3 Audio Technica Pro-25s
2 Studio Projects B1s
2 Nady CM88s
2 Nady DM80s(mic pack - will be used for toms/bass/etc)
1 Oktava 319 Condenser
1 Shure SM58
1 Shure SM57

...throw in some cords, stands, misc. other equip., and that it for now. Nothing too fancy, but I figure with the know-how I can give some bands a pretty good demo cd.

What kind of gear do you have already?? I know you mentioned multiple inputs, but all you really need for this is 1) a card/breakout box with multiple, and 2) a mixer...probably at least 12. That Delta 1010 ran me 599...but its worth it. You could always buy two...then you could record 16 tracks simultaniously...:Spin: That...and a good mixer...would probably run you..1600-1900. All you would need is any rackmount gear (maybe some FX, vocal processors, etc) and mics...that would put you in pretty good shape.

Of course, this is really what I would like to do, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be useful to you. :cool:

hmmmm....

I have a smattering of stuff....

New Dell PC...2.2gHz, 768MB RAM, etc.
SM57, EV-257 mics
Alesis SR-16 Drum machine
Behringer 6 Channel Mixer
Alesis NanoCompressor Mini Rackmount
Rackmount digital effects processor (reverb, delay, etc.) I can't remember brand
Line6 POD Amp modeller

Takamini Classical Guitar
Takamini Acoustic (w/electronics)
Aria Pro II and Kramer Electric Gits (highly modded)
Fender Precision Short Neck Bass
Kerzweil SP-88 Digital Piano
Peavey Bass Amp
Peavey Keyboard Amp
Engl Combo Tube Amp
Various Boss pedal effects

So the choice is to spend about $1600 for 16 inputs into the PC, plus the software or...

$2300 for a portable unit with 16 inputs and software included....or

$600 and settle for just 8 inputs (PC). It is still $2K for 8 inputs for the portable unit.

The KORG is setup to connect to the PC as well (USB) for wav file transferring, which means I can record on the KORG and mix/edit/master on either the KORG or a PC.

I say 'the Korg' only because thats the only one I've looked into so far. There are others, and I'm just starting to do the research. I'm leaning towards the portable unit right now, but I won't be looking to buy one for at least a few (6?) months. I promised myself I wouldn't spend the money until I had my CD written and demoed on my current PC AND I think its worth taking to the next level.

I.e. I have plenty of time to research it out and change my mind 20 times... :)

Hey guys. This thread is interesting to me as well. Some day I'd like to have a pc dedicated to recording. One thing I've been wondering about is how the digital studios do it. I haven't been in a studio in a long time. Do they use sound cards for I/O on their pc's or are the pc's just used for file storage, with some other method of converting A/D, D/A?

From what I have seen/heard, most of the 'real' studios use Pro Tools and their hardware for digital recording. I.e., there is a dedicated piece of hardware that accepts inputs, converts to digital, and then the data is either written to an intermediate storage device or directly to a PC (or Mac). Not sure exactly about the last part. But I'm pretty sure they are using external I/O devices like the one Hulkblood described.

The full pro-tools suite is impressive indeed. There is proprietary hardware inbetween, and I don't know all the details, but I know that the pro-tools pysical mixing board is connected to the virtual mixing board on the pc. i.e you push a button/pull a lever physically and it mirrors on screen. I understand it works the other way around as well...if yoy automate fades and such, the knobs/dials on the mixing board moves by itself (controlled by the PC) like one of those automtic pianos.

about the 'feel' of th guitar. that will be tough..i'll give it a shot. feel is so subjective though. Some people love the feel of a les paul. I hate it.

rabies said:
The full pro-tools suite is impressive indeed. There is proprietary hardware inbetween, and I don't know all the details, but I know that the pro-tools pysical mixing board is connected to the virtual mixing board on the pc. i.e you push a button/pull a lever physically and it mirrors on screen. I understand it works the other way around as well...if yoy automate fades and such, the knobs/dials on the mixing board moves by itself (controlled by the PC) like one of those automtic pianos.
Yeah...I haven't worked in a pro-tools environment yet, but I do know that you need the whole suite...aka, Protools hardware and Protools software. Whereas Cakewalk/Sonar/Cool Edit can be...uh...'borrowed' from a friend. N-track just has the nag screen.

Jim, besides the Delta 1010, there are a bunch of other "recording interfaces". MOTU makes some good ones (Mark Of The Unicorn), and I was considering buying a MKII...but they're not cheap. There are also a bunch of portable setups available....for instance....months ago I checked out a local (new) studio. It was set up pretty nice, a few practice rooms, 2 recording rooms, 1 vocal room, etc., but they used a 24 track (i believe) digital recording unit with a PC monitor. I was caught a little off guard (thinking to myself, "wheres the rest of it??"), but it looks like it does the job. Guess they just used digital effects, etc.

Either works, no one is really better...one just may be better for you. If you have some questions right away, go to the harmony central boards and check out the recording forum. I've also found its best to ask questions before you've devised your plan, so you don't end up scrapping it based on something you learn. Good luck!