Peavey 6534+

IronMan1993

New Metal Member
Feb 25, 2012
Hey guys,

First post here an just wondered if any of you's have tried the Peavey 6534+? And what were your thoughts? I got one back in December and I have to say I'm really impressed! Especially since I got it with a reduction of £500. It will definitely do until I can afford my own Diezel vh4 one day. So what does everyone else think?

Saw some youtube video's of it a while back with Misha from Periphery playing it. Sounded good. Other than that I've not had any experience of it though.

I'll see if I can do some recordings of it in the next few days. I only boost it with a Digitech Bad Monkey but even with that cheap pedal it sounds great, especially in my les paul loaded with Blackouts, thick and chunky but still articulate. Reckon it will sound better once I get a zilla fatboy cab though.

I dunno the crap cleans on the 6505 is more to do with the design of the preamp rather than the power tubes. Plenty of amps out there have 6L6's and nice cleans (Peavey XXX, Peavey JSX, lots of Fenders etc)

I think I remember that they might have tweaked the 6534+ for better cleans though?

We tried it at Namm and overall it's kicking all the other versions of 6505, 5150s ass.

It was soooo gnarly... Loved it!

Must admit, didn't expect the all mighty Ola to comment here :D
Tell you dude if I lived in Sweden I'd send you my amp in a heartbeat so you could demo it! Just now I'm using a marshall 1960B 4x12 but that badly needs to change.... Still sounds awesome though so should sound amazing once I get my new cab.

The amp is very nice! As Ola said its the best from the 6505 series. Its a bit more a lead amp than a rythm amp. Just a bit more cutting through because of the highmid touch of the el34. Not a very big improvement but mentionable.

I modded my normal 6505/5150 with El34 Powertubes and got a very similiar result. (for only 120$ including the tubes, a friend of mine did it). The best is, that I dont have the compression of the + Version but the touch of the el34.

this is it with a mesa rectifier 2x12: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17151953/musikerboard/mixes/rse%206534%20%20mesa%20recti%202x12.mp3

It shouldn't be hard to mod a regular 5150 etc to use el34's. You can use 6l6's in an el34 amp as long as you are able to bias them right, but not the other way around.

http://www.regiscoyne.com/tech/6L6toEL34/

I was going to look into this, but didn't know anyone who would be able to do it. An then the 6534 was on offer for £1k instead of the usual £1.3/1.5k so I grabbed it haha, it will definitely do until I can get my hands on a diezel vh4 :)

The amp is very nice! As Ola said its the best from the 6505 series. Its a bit more a lead amp than a rythm amp. Just a bit more cutting through because of the highmid touch of the el34. Not a very big improvement but mentionable.

I modded my normal 6505/5150 with El34 Powertubes and got a very similiar result. (for only 120$ including the tubes, a friend of mine did it). The best is, that I dont have the compression of the + Version but the touch of the el34.

this is it with a mesa rectifier 2x12: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17151953/musikerboard/mixes/rse%206534%20%20mesa%20recti%202x12.mp3

Sounds good man, up the gain a bit though, get some saturation going on!

I was thinking about maybe putting KT-77s in there in place of the EL34s, only once the current tubes are finished though, would be interesting to see the change.