Peavey Amp Channel Switching through Midi.

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
I contacted Peavey a while back because I was curious if the XXX Head's foot switch input was midi switchable or not. I know some amps would switch to channel 1 with midi channel 1, then 2 on midi 2, etc.

I was considering buying a TC Electronic G Major which has a 1/4" Channel Switching output as well as does my Rocktron Patchmate. I thought how nice would It be to use my midi pedal to change effects and channels at the same time as opposed to using a midi pedal and the tiny Peavey foot switch separately.

In response Peavey gave me instructions on how to build a cable from 7 pin DIN to 1/4" to connect to any midi switchable device that uses relays. (G Major/G System/Patchmate/GCX Etc.)

Figured there are alot of Peavey users here so maybe this would come in handy for some of you. I would imagine that you could contact them to get specific specs on 5150/6505 and JSX as well if they arent already similar to XXX.

So here it is:

The 7 pin DIN connector that looks like a midi connector is really just a seven conductor connector, with each pin doing a certain function when grounded. You will need a MIDI controller which incorporates some kind of relay switching capability in order to switch channels via the controller.
Relay switching devices typically use ¼" jacks. Some use mono jacks, and some incorporate two relays per jack using stereo jacks. Refer to the owner's of your particular product for information concerning the jack configuration and wiring.

Here are the pin configurations of the DIN connector on the Triple XXX.
On the 7 pin connector (looking from the solder side on the connector with the open space at the top) the pins are numbered in order starting at top right (one o'clock position).

Pin 1. +17VDC supply to pedal
Pin 2. not used
Pin 3. Ground this pin to detect footswitch Pin 4. Ground/Common Pin 5. Clean/Bypass Pin 6. Ultra/Crunch Pin 7. Effects

Connect pin 3 and pin 7 to ground (pin 4).

Pin 5 will be your clean to lead, so it goes to one relay connection.

Pin 6 selects crunch or ultra, so that goes another relay connection.

Again, refer to the owner's of your particular product for information concerning the jack configuration and wiring.

Regards,
Roger Crimm
Regional Service Manager
Peavey Electronics

Wow dude, thanks a ton! This'll def. come in handy with my jSX. Now the next question is: which MIDI foot controller? Right now the two best seem to be the Rocktron MIDI Mate and the Tech21 MIDI Moose. The Rocktron's ability to display patch titles, its different modes; in general, all its bells and whistles make it seem to be the vastly superior choice, but then why is the Tech21 $20 more? Any recommendations on this would be appreciated.