Peavey Triple EQ

tides

Jun 30, 2009
BE
www.myspace.com
Hello, just wanted to pop a quick question;

I own a Peavey Triple XXX and I've read on several sites it has an active EQ that requires careful tweaking. I can't seem to nail that "perfect" metal tone with my Celestion G12T75 412 cabinet. I've already tried a V30 Orange PPC 412 cab, but that didn't seem a good fit for the amp.

I use the FX loop trick (run a cable from send to return, both volumes on max: instant extra headroom), and play mostly on the ultra channel, with dampening on MID.

Any of you guys got some tips to master the amp/EQ for brutal metal :devil:? Any advice is much appreciated!

I mostly used the crunch channel on loose. Treat 10 o'clock as noon and the EQ acts a lot more normal. I never really felt like I needed any tricks but maybe you're more picky than I am. That said, diming the FX loop will result in less, not more headroom.

Both channels are good. Ultra has always seemed a bit drier and more scooped.

As far as the eq goes I find you have to be careful not to scoop the mids too much. I wouldn't put the mids lower than 10 o clock and the bass and treble much higher than 3 o clock.
Keep in mind that the volume of the distortion channel you're not using has an effect on the edge of the channel your are using. I find between 12 o clock and 3 o clock works well.

The Triple XXX was my favorite amp. I don't have one anymore and I don't want to talk about why. It breaks my heart. That said, you don't need the cable in the loop for the boost to work, I used it as a lead boost for 3 years on tour. I also had it running through a JCM 800 412 at the time. Same speakers as your cab. My cab was just one input @ 16 ohms. I used mainly the Ultra channel with settings:

Damping @ Mid
Hair @ 12 o'clock
Body @ 12 o'clock
Bottom @ 11 o'clock
Volume @ 12 o'clock
Gain @ 3 o'clock
Master @ 3 o'clock to dimed out, depending on the stage.

The crunch channel was set pretty much the same, but with much less Gain, as I used it for certain riffs and breaks that called for more of an old school rock tone. The guitar was always my Gibson V with a JB in the bridge, and the only pedals I used were my tuner and my Crybaby.

That amp crushed it every night, and I miss it so much.

The Triple XXX was my favorite amp. I don't have one anymore and I don't want to talk about why. It breaks my heart. That said, you don't need the cable in the loop for the boost to work, I used it as a lead boost for 3 years on tour. I also had it running through a JCM 800 412 at the time. Same speakers as your cab. My cab was just one input @ 16 ohms. I used mainly the Ultra channel with settings:

Damping @ Mid
Hair @ 12 o'clock
Body @ 12 o'clock
Bottom @ 11 o'clock
Volume @ 12 o'clock
Gain @ 3 o'clock
Master @ 3 o'clock to dimed out, depending on the stage.

The crunch channel was set pretty much the same, but with much less Gain, as I used it for certain riffs and breaks that called for more of an old school rock tone. The guitar was always my Gibson V with a JB in the bridge, and the only pedals I used were my tuner and my Crybaby.

That amp crushed it every night, and I miss it so much.

Gain at 3 o clock?! Faaaakin hell! I don't think I ever put the gain over 12 o clock, even with my lower output guitars!

Gain at 3 o clock?! Faaaakin hell! I don't think I ever put the gain over 12 o clock, even with my lower output guitars!

That's cuz I like to party. :p
and keep in mind, those were my settings when playing live. Personally, I think Gain levels are "to each his own" live. It was a nice thick "heartwork" kind of guitar sound though.