Quick Amp-advice(6505 or Triple X)

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
hey guys ...
Hands down... I know a lot of you guys dig the 6505 more than the Triple X.
But I've got an offer for an used XXX in great condition - 815 € (new: 1500€)
Compared to a new 6505 - 1119€.

I want to have a great live-sound that just screams "Fuck You" with a lot of life and huge balls :D
I would prefer a two channel-amp with two eq-sections to boost the mids on the lead-channels for soloing.
I want to record some stuff at home, so the amp should also sound good at moderate volumes. I dig the guitar-sound of Killswitch Engage, Unearth and LoG for recording-purposes and I know in pretty much every record of the mentioned bands a 5150 was involved (no ... LoG was Mark IV's and some Orange-stuff, right? Somebody got any information on that records?).
But I rarely heard stuff recorded with the Triple X - and unfortunately I was never able to test one.

So ... hands down - does this sound like I'm describing a 6505 or a Triple X?

;)

Haha ... do what?
Well ... we could close the topic. Got an 6505+ for a special price. I know it lacks a bit of balls compared to the normal version, but that second EQ is kind of vital to me :D

You named off a lot of bands that do, in fact, use 5150 for their sound. But, don't you want your own sound? My personal opinion is that the Triple XXX can hold its own against the 5150/6505. Plus it has an actual clean channel. The only two drawbacks of the XXX is the Ultra channel and no presence or resonance controls. The high mids are a little piercing on ultra and it has that damping switch on the back that allows limited control over pres. and res. However, the crunch channel does everything anyone would need to get a crushing metal tone. Break the 5150 mold and go for the Triple XXX in my opinion.

Note: you don't need to dial in much gain on the XXX. 3 to 4 with a boost and 5 without.

Hehe, yeah ... you're right. But hey, I really had my own sound for a few years (pretty rare Engl Rack-Amp) and always lacked a bit of that familiar tone :D

I vote XXX all the way (I have a JSX, which is quite similar, and love it, and there's another thread in the standard section of the forum where a dude got one and loves it, there's clips in there)

EDIT: The thread is called "XXX hell yeah!"

I love my 6505+. I feel I get really close to a regular 6505/5150 tone with it. Put an EQ in the loop and you can get EXTREMELY close, IMO.

Also, to my ears, the 6505+ sounds better at lower volumes, so bedroom playing isn't crazy loud.