Peavey Tone test: 6505 / XXX / JSX

I think you nailed the 6505 the most, but to be honest, the JSX part doesn't do justice to what I think is a great amp.

Well they all use the same cab and mic position. The JSX has quite allot more MIDS tuned on the amp and still it has less mids then the rest of the amps. I still think the JSX could work well with the 6505 which has allot of mids :)

Thanks for listening,
after some time of mic position tweaking my ears were probably tired and that tone did seem to be quite good at that moment ;)

Cab is 2x12 hand-build mesa-style with celestion v30, will upgrade it to better one later...

I'll try to get less strange tone with mic positioning

I did a shoot out between the Engl pro 4x12, Mesa Rect. 2x12 and the Harley benton 4x12. All loaded with Vintage 30's. Ii thought it was cool to hear that the same speaker can sound so different.

The harley benton sounded like a joke compared to the Mesa and the Engl (i still belive its a good rehearsal cab) but it really proved to me that without a great cab its like throwing your money in the lake (do US have that expression haha???) buying a 2000$ Amp and have a crappy cab!!!

triple XXX sounds best to me. has a nice exodus vibe too! i can definitely imagine it being used as the only amp for an album ready guitar tone, unlike the 5150 which to me sounds like it blends well with other amps, but i haven't had much success with dialing a standalone tone though. what are your thoughts about that?

Well they all use the same cab and mic position. The JSX has quite allot more MIDS tuned on the amp and still it has less mids then the rest of the amps. I still think the JSX could work well with the 6505 which has allot of mids :)

well...maybe...hemmm..*cough cough*...you could try that for us:D

Ok here you go with some wonderful Photshoping :D
ultimatemetal_pic1.jpg

And the micing. I blend center and angle mic to taste, my Spider preamp works as a mixer so i can easily just lower the output volym on the spider so both mic's uses the same amount of preamp gain. It tends to be a bit more of the angled mic then i send these to a buss which then
gets assigned to a mono track so i dont get 2 tracks when i record.

ultimatemetal_pic2.jpg

Well the 2mic setting dont make it or brake it. I cant make much statements about the tone because my studio has awesome acoustics so i never had to deal with those problems. Although as i said before i cant stretch the importance of a great Cab to go with your great Amp.

hi what guitar were you using for this? unlike the others i really like the JSX tone!!