Peavey Tone test: 6505 / XXX / JSX

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hi guys,

So i bought myself a 6505 and i made a comparison between the different peavey amps i own. The guitar that was used was a Jackson with EMG81.

recording chain: Engl Pro 4x12 --> Sm57 --> Crane Song Spider + A/D

All of them sounds good, all brings different flavor but my favorite is for sure the Triple X, tight, saturated and nice highs. Although i belive the 6505 and the X will blend really good. Tell me what you think :)

http://studiohaga.net/6505_xxx_jsx_bpm180.mp3

ultimatemetal.jpg

I like the 6505 and XXX most here. Why so little mids in the JSX? IMO all of those amps would sound better with slightly more gain or a TS, but of course it's coming down to taste now.

Crillemannen, could I ask a few questions as an FYI to myself (I'm still deciding if I will eventually upgrade to a Mesa or Engl cab)?

Was the Jackson an Alder or Mahogany body, what were your EQ, res/pres and gain settings on the JSX and was the JSX on crunch or ultra?

dont like the JSX at all, in this clips the XXX sounds best, althouht I know that I like the 6505 most out of these, normally ;)

Crillemannen, could I ask a few questions as an FYI to myself (I'm still deciding if I will eventually upgrade to a Mesa or Engl cab)?

Was the Jackson an Alder or Mahogany body, what were your EQ, res/pres and gain settings on the JSX and was the JSX on crunch or ultra?

Hmm dont know about the jackson there mate.

The settings where quite normal, nothing extrem. JSX and Triple X on crunch channel (the ultra channel is a little bit darker)

JSX: Bass 5-6 , Treble 5-6, Middle 4/ Gain 6 / Crunch channel
Triple X: Hair 5-6 / Middle 3 / Bass: 6 / Gain 4 / Crunch channel
6505: Treble 5 / Bass 5 / Middle 4 / Gain 3 / red channel

And i belive a Maxon OD808 would improve the 6505 tone quite a bit. Because the pedal can increase the gain a bit without loosing the tightness.
But i thought the test is intresting because the Triple X has quite a bad reputation only because people cant dial in a tone. And for me the Triple X has quality's that the 6505 don't.

Sorry missed the question about the Engl vs Mesa cab. You will be pleased with either one. The Engl is slightly darker and feels a little bit more compressed (in a good way) the mesa is more open and brighter. / Cheers

Yo need to work on your mic positioning and perhaps use better settings on your amp. Seems to have some strange frequencys in your tone.

What cab are you using?? Its crucial that you use a good one (engl,mesa etc)

Thanks for listening,
after some time of mic position tweaking my ears were probably tired and that tone did seem to be quite good at that moment ;)

Cab is 2x12 hand-build mesa-style with celestion v30, will upgrade it to better one later...

I'll try to get less strange tone with mic positioning