6505 vs. Triple XXX

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
Hey!

I have a 6505 but i'm looking at more option for my studio. I know alot of people dig the Triple XXX.
I know what a 6505 sounds like, but could anyone try and explain how a Triple XXX sounds compared to the 6505, does it have a different crunch/djent etc?

I find the XXX to be more versatile, no doubt. Both have an aggressive tonality, though. The XXX to my ears has a meatier roar whereas the 6505 has more of a bark. Bad descriptions I know, sorry.

Where are you located?

I have a XXX I'd trade for a 6505. I already own a 6505, but I'd like to have one to mod...

The XXX, has more gain, is thinner sounding and can be buzzy, but a retube can fix the buzz. It's not hard taming the buzz on the XXX, but I'd say try one before you pick one up. From what I hear the XXX is a bitch to record, and 6505's excel in recording, and some even say it sounds much better recorded than live. The XXX seems to shine in live situations, however Suffocation apparently used XXX amps on their last cd, possibly Souls To Deny, and they're using them on the new cd and they use them live as well. I've also heard some recorded XXX tones that weren't bad, but it really depends on what you're after.

To me, the 6505 has more of a low end/low mid sort of growl to it, that gives it a very raw aggressive sound, whereas the XXX sounds a bit more even, although not as rounded as the 6505.

I hope that made sense to someone other than me. :lol:

EDIT: FIXED :D

To me, the 6505 has more of a low end/low mid sort of growl to it, that gives it a very raw aggressive sound, whereas the 6505 sounds a bit more even, although not as rounded as the 6505.

I hope that made sense to someone other than me. :lol:

Not really, not when you compare the 6505 to the 6505 and say that the 6505 sounds different to the 6505. :lol:

HAHAhaahahahaah, that gave me a good chuckle :lol:

5150 on the left, XXX on the right, quad tracked, sm57> mesa cab v30's, your basic eq low pass and highpasss, then on the compressor, attack 30, release 0, knee maxed out, ratio 4:1

I own both a 5150 and a Triple X. I would say that the Triple X sounds better than 5150 in almost every way. Allot tighter for sure, better highs and as someone wrote a little bit tighter, feels a litte bit more compressed. And more versitale for sure.

YOu should try both if you can

CHeers

DO NOT USE IT AS A MAIN AMP THOUGH. I repeat, only use it to blend. like if you have a 5150 or a krank, a XXX would be fucking awesome for you

DO NOT USE IT AS A MAIN AMP THOUGH. I repeat, only use it to blend. like if you have a 5150 or a krank, a XXX would be fucking awesome for you

Im sure it would be great to just use it as a blend to previous amps, but most people don't have the funding for such heads. So you don't recommend the XXX for somebodys "new" guitar head?