6505+ - Engl e530 - Triple XXX - Krank Krankenstein

IrvOnly

New Metal Member
May 17, 2011
Hi all,

So right now im looking to get new amp and have narrowed down my options to these ones. If possible I would like to get your input on which one do u like the most? I know it all comes down to personal taste but it does not hurt to read any experience with any of these amps specially if someone has ever compared them.

I missposted this thread on the production tips forum and someone said that the triple xxx has better cleans. Does the clean tones on the 6505 suck? are the at least usable? LOL

Thanks for your help

What sound do you like? The 2 peaveys sound completely different than the Krank. Sounds like you don't know what you want...in that case I would go XXX. They are cheap as fuck used and very versatile. And the cleans are better than the 5150. Krank cleans are pristine.

I have the 5152 (same as the 6505+) and the E530. I've played quite a bit on the XXX as well and love it too. They're all different animals. The 5152 has a decent clean compared to the 5150, though it's not pristine. The E530 does have a glassy clean though. You can get bruutz out of it with some help, but its not really ideal for it. The XXX will do insane gain, but can be hard to dial in depending on the cab.
You'd probably be happy with any of them, but go try them regardless. GC should have the 6505 and XXX (now 3120) somewhere nearby.

^I would definitely try playing Krank before purchasing it. It's a great amp if you are tight and most of your palm mutes hit at the same time as a kick, tom, or snare. But if you are doing thrashier stuff, I would go 5150. And if you are doing a little of everything, then go XXX.

well its not that I do not know what i want. I honestly have never tried any of those amps (except for the ENGL pre which I own). I am just wanting to try something different to what I have...youre all guitar players you know what I mean... were never happy with what we have lol

I am checking on those amps because those are the good deals in high gainers Ive found so far within my budget and well I wanted to get your input on them.

oh and by the way I live in El Salvador. so im pretty much unable to try those amps as there arent any here lol. Im traveling to florida and plan on purchasing one to bring it here.....

Yeah I have one which I mentioned because Id like to know your thoughts on it. I wondered if any of the amps I mentioned above was better for my main thing... Metal playing

Describe the quality of sound you want.

Dark?
Bright?
Cutting?
A bit of Fizz?
Versatility?
How important is a different clean to you?

Well If I were to give an example of the sound I am really liking. I´d say Fleshgod apocalypse´s the violation tone... Man that guitars tone its just mean. Awesome sound.

I dont remember where I read that they did used Rectifiers but that they mixed it with a 6505 amp . So that makes me wonder.

It sucks my budget is not reaching mesa rectifier territories, is there any less expensive alternative to a recto-ish sound?

Too be honest those all really different sounding heads. I personally like them all but for specific styled music. Really heavy styled stuff, the 6505 and even the XXX sounds good. Engl sounds beautiful with lighter metalcore stuff. While Kranks are insane when it comes to really fuzzy stuff like metal and even heavier rock.

So it's really what you're looking to use it for. I'd personally go with the Engl or 6505. Whatever you do, DONT go with a peavey cab if you looking to get a cab to match. I couldnt find a bit of brightness from them.