powerball vs. triple XXX

tides

Jun 30, 2009
BE
www.myspace.com
Hey, a quick question for the experts;

I currently own a powerball (or mudball if you must) for shows/rehearsals, and I'm quite happy with it. I play technical death/thrash metal, so the amp suits me fine. I now have the change to trade for a Peavey Triple XXX, which I also quite like. Aside from the financials, any thoughts on the best way to go?

Many thanks in advance!

Well, Exodus Exhibit A is XXX and Exhibit B is Engl Savage (similar to powerball I would imagine) and they both sound killer in Garys hands.
Id say keep the Engl and buy the XXX, they are going cheaper than ever, and one of the best bang for your buck amp out there. It would be a shame to only own the one, when a second hand XXX is really not that much at all.

Imo everyone here(me to) pretty much prefers every other amp compared to the powerball.
So i vote for the XXX;)

Yeah Pball and Savage couldnt be more different, one totally rox, the other one shox :)

XXX wins against the Powerball any day in my opinion. Might be better off selling the Pball and using the money to buy a second hand XXX instead of doing a straight swap.

Triple xxx!

Ive seen Triple xxx heads sell on ebay for as little as £400-£500
and the Powerballs for £700+

Don't trade!
Sell the Poweball and then buy a used Triple xxx head, you will
profit £200-£300 this way.

The XXX is basically a 6505 with a different tonestack and a Recto-like loose channel. And a clean channel that doesn't sound like a broken AM radio.

powerball for me is better BUT for recordings i always recomment Large-diaphragm microphones for this amp.seems like ENGL is way much better with large diaphragm mics instead of some sm57.

Hey, a quick question for the experts;

I'm not claiming to be an "expert", but...

Aside from the financials, any thoughts on the best way to go?

Having heard both used, Powerball seems fatter sounding, doesn't push itself to the front of the mix. TripleXXX is less solid sound, more edge, more dynamic and aggressive.

Question is which sound better suits your band's material and your artistic vision.