circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Pelican – March into the Sea EP
Hydra Head Records – HH666-84 – April 12th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

march.jpg

Pelican. Even just whispering the moniker makes instrumental junkies sit up straight, and begin to salivate. Thus, when the release of March into the Sea EP was announced, fans – and peasants alike – rejoiced at the thought of having something to munch on while they waited for the forthcoming full-length entitled The Fire in Our Throats Beckons the Thaw. This little EP, however short, is great.

There are only two tracks to be found on the record, but said tracks manage to form over thirty minutes of commendable music. “March into the Sea” will be on the band’s new album, and this is the expanded version, which nails another ten minutes onto itself. Everything about the composition is spellbinding, mesmerizing, and just beautiful. “March into the Sea” must be heard because I believe all descriptions will fall short of its true majesty. The second song is a JK Broadrick remix of “Angel Tears.” That number appeared on Pelican’s debut full-length in Australasia, and this version utilizes a slew of electronic elements to emphasize and complement the instrumentation. Similarly, “Angel Tears” noticeably drones for great lengths, but that’s exactly what it should do. In other words, it works.

I’m chagrined to admit that this was my first experience with Pelican. March into the Sea EP is seemingly the perfect introduction to this promising, young band and I can hardly wait for The Fire in Our Throats Beckons the Thaw. At any rate, the brothers Herweg and friends certainly didn’t skimp in quality here.

8.5/10

Official Pelican Website
Official Hydra Head Records Website

I like the remix a lot actually, but I definitely bought this for the title track... kinda dissapointed that they're shortening the song for the full length.. i think its perfect the way it is :( oh well I'm sure they won't fuck it up