circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Pelican – The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
Hydra Head Records – HH666-91 – July 26th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

pelican2.gif

Worthy follow-up to March into the Sea EP? Yes. Best instrumental album released in 2005? You bet. Number one choice for 2005 year-end list? Maybe so. Either way, besides the flattering praise and awards that Pelican are so deserving of, The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw is an all-around, grand piece of music, which recalls a panorama of emotions that can only be conjured through audible means. Not only does the quartet’s sophomore full-length have the ability to level critics, fans, and bystanders alike, but it should rightfully thrust Pelican into that of near-untouchable status.

With these instrumentalists, the motif is easily detectable, and it’s been a staple of their career since the demise of the 20th century. For example, the lengthy, sprawling compositions, persistent use of emotion, indefatigable songwriting skills, and piquant artwork always converge on every single outing that the group etches its name into. Concerning The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw, the quality is inherent from the get-go, and I for one expected it to be. From the “Last Day of Winter” to “Sirius,” the album has the propensity to drone, wind, and caress without ever fully losing its sense of purpose, or its intended listener. Sure, it’s easy to zone out at times, but the four-piece utilize an uncanny method of reeling in even those who have fluttering attention spans. Though “Last Day of Winter” is a brooding, methodically-paced opus, “Autumn into Summer” encapsulates its title perfectly, and is furthermore my favorite song off of this magnificent disc. The emotional passages, that appear and reappear continuously, are instances of pure excellence. I know “Autumn into Summer” begins slowly – just as an actual, seasonal change does – but the escalating pace only adds to the atmosphere, and ultimately makes it a stronger effort when all is said and done. “Untitled” is different in a manner of speaking, because it favors acoustic guitar to other instruments, which is quite aberrant for a group that loves them some distortion…like the commencement of “Red Ran Amber” will show you.

Having a sound comparable to that of Isis and Red Sparowes, though vastly different once the nuances are excavated, Pelican aren’t the only ones to prosper from the sect they’ve been dropped into. It’s unnecessary to say much more than The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw is one of the grandest achievements of the year, and the e-fellating is certainly warranted in an unceasing amount, I hesitate to add. Pelican: making the passive voice socially acceptable, one album title at a time.

9/10

Official Pelican Website
Official The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw Website
Official Hydra Head Records Website

dammit. i just got back from media play where, at one point, i had this album in hand. i put it back to make room for Nile, Candlemass, and Opeth. I'll definitely get it next time.

Doomcifer said:
I was expecting much, MUCH more from Pelican on this one. :(

Same here . The excitement faded out quite fast . It just dosen't convert the touchdown .

Red Sparowes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Fire...

One of the albums of the year this is. Such an amazing cd. I love the atmosphere on this. Autumn into Summer is one of the best tracks ever!

Ikil

i'll say it has its moments, like the last one, but too much drone/noise hold it down. build up is sometimes effective, but sometimes tracks seem to just go on. maybe they should take note from apocalyptica and be more concise.
[i'm gonna take hell for this... ready go]

instrumetal listeners, the kiko loureiro [angra guitarist] release, also from this year is somewhat interesting; though not necessarily a top 10 cd. high technical proficiency, though the atmosphere isn't what we're used to, and its the opposite of this pelican cd. take note. on arise records.

This album really grows and grows and grows on you. Holds up to LOTS of repeat listens.

i find this band to be very over rated. i have the entire album on mp3 and i gave/give it repeat listens to let it sink in and it just does nothing for me. i guess its not my cup of tea.

I think this album is good, yet a bit stretched. Sure, it's an "ambient" post-rockish trip album but it really does feel boring after 2-3 listens. Moving away from their doom metal sound might have been a bad idea, though what they do now is still pretty nice. Those who heard their EP "Pulse" will know how crushing their sound was. This is the kind of album that I'd like to listen to frequently and like after 50+ listens but it just doesn't seem to happen. :err:

7/10