People are talking

xfer said:
i don't think you should cite the number of opeth fans as evidence against toby's argument, though.

yeah but i would wonder about the significance of his argument, valid or not, if it's indeed true that a mass of people are loving Opeth music. we can grant that Opeth music is "cut and paste" (i disagree) but that still wouldn't say much about the value of their music other than the idea that some song is "cut and paste" on some relative scale. i'm mostly arguing that the "cut and paste" criticism is a meaningless one; i'm not so much arguing over whether it's accurate or not.

btw, on another note, Leonard Berstein basically said the same thing of George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. in that you can take any segment of the composition, rearrange it, and it wouldn't make much difference. it's sort of true (sort of not true also) but does it matter?

britney.jpg

i'll leave that part in.

I totally got bad rep for that thread..haha.. apparently "it looks like I am guzzling cum in my avatar" .. no name though.. a pity. would like to meet that poet.

my $.02:

the last few Opeth records have been decent, but mostly interchangable. except for "Damnation" which I actually really enjoy. It took a bit of work to get into, but I'm actually kinda excited to see them play stuff from it on the upcoming tour.
as for the "cut & paste" thing, I don't really hear it too much, especially with the newer material. there's certainly quite a few metal bands that are far, far worse. In fact, most metal bands are terrible at composition/songwriting IMO. cool riffs != songwriting. but yeah, like I said, they're consistent and they maintain a respectible level of quality. i think that's very very respectable even if it could be considered unexciting for some. they are very fimly entrenched into their niche and are good at what they do.

I really do hope they try to experiment/branch out more. Like was said earlier - they definitely have the potential to be Great. how that will happen, I dunno.

and for the record, I find that openly dissing other bands in your scene is almost always bad form. whether you like it or not Toby, it still is your scene. beware that shit like this could easily come back to haunt you in worse forms than rabid retarded fanboys with gigantic sig files.

oh, and before anyone gets too wound up, lemme add that I think this whole debacle is stupid to begin with. sure, I don't appreciate when people diss my favorite bands or even my own bands, but I don't go around calling them names.

I need to respond to this thread. Both here and on the Opeth board, but I will do it tomorrow when I can articulate better. Basically though, I totally understand where Toby's comment comes from and agree with it. I'm not sure a lot of the proponents of Opeth really know what he's saying. I will exspunge on that more tomorrow.

I agree that Opeth are a bit mixed in their songwriting everynow and then, but frankly don't care because their music is still awesome...great vocals and guitars, sure their last albums are sort of 'samey' but they still rule. Maudlin rule as well, even more so actually imo. Maudlin has a similar style of light vs dark except with more variety...and although I totally love love love Maudlin, Opeth is still right up there in my fav bands.

Its no crime to love both...some of you Maudlin guys gotta admit, Opeth are pretty good...hehe.

Its cool to be able to see the good in most things and let the bad fall to the wayside...thats what I try to do with most stuff I listen to, unless it sucks.

that neurotomania guy is a fucking retard. every post ive ever seen that guy reply to is complete dribble. actually calling him a retard is giving disabled people a bad name.

by the way, i really enjoy all of opeths stuff, and the maudlin of the well stuff ive heard so far is great.

meh.. I just replied to that one... 'kin fanboys...

Hopefully those sad fucks won't pull down Opeth or anyone else.. fanboys and mindless twats are found EVERYWHERE... so let's just nevermind them and stick to our guns...

sure, Still Life and BWP sounded almost the same... Deliverance was like a more technical and heavy version of the same formula.. and Damnation is wonderful prog rock.. IMO... now let's all just listen to what we want..

City said:
that neurotomania guy is a fucking retard. every post ive ever seen that guy reply to is complete dribble. actually calling him a retard is giving disabled people a bad name.

by the way, i really enjoy all of opeths stuff, and the maudlin of the well stuff ive heard so far is great.

*dribble*

I was going to respond more to this but I woke up this morning and decided I really don't care. Opeth rocks as does motW. Not sure about this Kayo Dot band yet though. I still need to listen to those clips.