Peppered Cancer and School

Zyquix

Jan 30, 2006
Is there any place we could hear these songs without having to buy Bobby's DVD? I'd buy it if I was a drummer, but I don't want to shell out the cash for only 2 (or more?) songs.

Thanks, if my brother ever releases a drum instructional video, and he and I co-write a couple songs, I'll be sure to post them up here for free as well.

Thanks Ron , Those are excellent songs....those could have been on spastic ink any time...

I got them some years ago on the net of a Jarzombek Studio site.....can't really remember it well maybe a relative of yours.....

Thanks !

School was the first song I heard related to Ron, and I love it. Bobby's drum sound is incredible, especially the toms, not to mention the playing!

Yeah "School" is a totally awesome song. You can tell it's more of a drum-oriented song though. Not that there's any problem with that, but it just wouldn't fit in with Spastic Ink stuff I don't think. I still love the song just as much as Spastic stuff though. Just the build up at the beginning with the crash/guitar stabs alone makes it awesome. Plus it looks awesome watching Bobby play it with the cymbals behind him. I know several drummers who have changed their kit setup to incorporate this idea after watching Bobby play. It's ingenius.

Nebbiez said:
Yeah "School" is a totally awesome song. You can tell it's more of a drum-oriented song though. Not that there's any problem with that, but it just wouldn't fit in with Spastic Ink stuff I don't think. I still love the song just as much as Spastic stuff though. Just the build up at the beginning with the crash/guitar stabs alone makes it awesome. Plus it looks awesome watching Bobby play it with the cymbals behind him. I know several drummers who have changed their kit setup to incorporate this idea after watching Bobby play. It's ingenius.

Yeah the use of those cymbals behind him is great. I was pretty shocked to see him actually hit them perfectly and come back down and continue the song and stay in time, so awesome. I love his accent too.

I probably should comment on those two songs. Yep, they were written and recorded for Bobby's DVD. However, when Spastic Ink got the lincesing deal with Japan's Marquee/Avalon for 'Ink Compatible', they wanted a "bonus" track. So we took 'Peppered Cancer', and I spiced it up a bit and retitled it 'A Quick Affix'. I like 'Peppered Cancer/Quick Affix', but 'School' does very little for me. It's pretty cool for a "drum" feature song, but I'd take 'Harm And Half-Time Baking Shuffle' over it any day.

Ron

Yeah i prefer Peppered over School, it just sounds more 'Inky' than School. Though I do love that middle section with the solos and those 2 riff things right after them. And the drumwork riight after that is freaking awesome.

I haven't really listened Peppered that much. I really like School though 'cause I'm into heavy stuff like that and the drum sound is good.

Out of interest, does Ron or anyone here know why Japanese distributors usually ask for a bonus track? I listen to a lot of prog metal and guitar virtuoso albums, and loads of them feature bonus tracks only available on the Japanese version. I was just wondering why that was.

From reading previous answers to this question by Ron and other musicians, I think it's something like this:

In Japan, they charge much more for CDs than a free market would be able to get away with, so in order to get people to buy CDs locally (instead of waiting and importing from overseas for cheaper), they do heavy promotion of new releases. But, in order to dissuade importing, they require to be able to release the CD before other markets, and they require some sort of bonus material.

That may not be 100% accurate, but that was what I got from what I've read.