"Perdition City" - does it REALLY have triphop elements?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Hello all -

After ProgmetalFan's thread stating that "Perdition City" featured trip-hop elements, I went to finally buy this CD last week. Unfortunately, the CD was sold out from the local CD shop.

Anyway, after returning to PMF's thread, someone else stated that there really are NO trip-hop elements.....

Can anyone shed some light into this?

ps....I have "Themes" and like parts of it, but it tends to "border on the boring" all too often. How does "City" compare?

No, it doesn't really have trip hop elements...the thing about trip hop is it combines an influence of dub, hip hop and electronica. 'Perdition City' simply evokes a similar atmosphere to some of the darker sides of trip hop like recent Massive Attack or Portishead, however overall it's far more progressive, abstract, in places chaotic and has no hip hop influence at all.

People throw around the term trip-hop so much that it's lost any meaning. I've even seen people call Gravediggaz trip-hop (I assume this is based on their split with Tricky (whore) and their influence on Barrow's melodies when he was starting Portishead).

Anyway, I don't consider Perdition City to be trip-hop as it basically lacks any sense of a down beat and there is no hip-hop influence, as Hellion has already stated.

I don't hear much trip hop at all. I guess maybe .0001% of the music is trip hop, but it's not worth mentioning at all. I would compare it more to Coil with a more percussive and structured sound.

Now, Themes has a trip hop influence, it even has dnb overtones and percussion samples. If you are looking for Ulver with trip hoppy sounds, Themes is your best bet.

If you want to know what trip hop is, get Massive Attack - Mezzanine or Tricky - Maxinquaye (both are much better than Portishead, who are ok but have crappy female vocals). If you want the downtempo stuff, Lamb is ok, but kind of hit or miss.