Perfect/"dream" setlist 2015

Metalton95

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2015
Hey guys, first post in here! :)
So, after the release of Underworld, and after thinking about my favourite SX songs (and seeing a thread asking for others "top 10 SX songs"), I thought about this:

If Symphony X had 90 minutes (+ time needed for chatting/tuning in between songs), how would your PERFECT Symphony X setlist be? (please exclude Odyssey and Divine Wings of Tragedy, since we all want them to play them, yet they fill too much time in a setlist)

Mine would be:

Overture (taped intro)
1. Underworld
2. Sea of Lies
3. In the Dragons Den
4. Accolade II
5. Charon
6. Out of the Ashes
7. Paradise Lost
8. Church of the Machine
9. Evolution (the grand design) flowing directly into...
10. Fallen
11. When All is Lost

Encore:
12. The Edge of Forever

Nice thread.

I've given this about 5 minutes of thought and checked the endings and beginnings of the songs, so that the setlist would flow great. (It may also sound cool in a studio versions playlist,) Here's my dream setlist.

1- Overture to be linked to Iconoclast.
2-In the Dragon's Den
3- The Edge of Forever
4- Smoke and Mirrors
5- The Walls of Babylon
6- Fallen
7- Awakenings
8- The Odyssey
9- Rediscovery (only part 2, to begin immediately after The Odyssey ended.)

BTW, I wouldn't say no to a setlist that include 4-5 songs from Underworld. Actually I need some more time to fully digest it in order to fit some of its songs in such lists.

These guys are creative, they would handle it. Even I can think of something that might work, but I guess I can't express it haha.

Oh, I know you could make it work, but I was assuming unedited songs. If we can blend stuff together I can probably dream up something cool.

This is the 80 minute CD I compiled for playing in the car and it's been on repeat play apart from an occasional break to play disc 2.

1 Overture
2 Underworld
3 Evolution (the grand design)
4 Accolade 2
5 Light Up The Night
6 Of Sins and Shadows
7 Seven
8 A Fool's Paradise
9 When All Is Lost
10 Legend
11 Smoke and Mirrors
12 Paradise Lost
13 Swansong

That would be my dream set list with Hell and Back added in to make up the time remaining. On this disc the heavier and newer songs blend in very well with the older material and I listen to it over and over again.

Disc 2 is my best of the rest tracks and if anyone is interested these are

1 Sea of Lies
2 Charon
3 Fallen
4 Whispers
5 Hell and Back (would like to swap this with Smoke and Mirrors but it's too long to fit on other disc)
6 Rediscovery part 2
7 Candlelight Fantasia
8 Without You
9 The Witching Hour
10 Communion and the Oracle
11 Kiss of Fire
12 Lady of the Snow

At a gig during the Paradise Lost tour I met another fan from these boards (not sure if he's still around). He continuously asked Rullo, LePond, and Russell if they would play The Edge of Forever (not sure why he was so stuck on that song) again at gigs. Rullo and Russell firmly stated that the song had been played in the past and didn't quite work and it would never appear on a setlist. LePond said, "that'd be kinda cool." :) Anyway, as much as we all want to hear that song, I sadly don't think it will ever happen.

I'm trying not to expect a bunch of old songs, so my realistic setlist would be:

(Overture)
01. Nevermore
02. Underworld
03. Inferno
04. Evolution (The Grand Design)
05. Kiss of Fire
06. Without You
07. Eve of Seduction
08. Charon
09. Egypt
10. Dehumanized
11. Out of the Ashes
12. The Accolade II
13. Of Sins and Shadows

Here's kind of something between a realistic setlist and a rare setlist that I think might be cool. It's not really my dream setlist, but it would be pretty interesting to see live.

Underworld
The End of Innocence
A Winter's Dream (Prelude) / Kiss of Fire
Eve of Seduction
Egypt / Death of Balance
Electric Messiah
Out of the Ashes
Charon
Awakenings
Legend
---
Evolution / Fallen
Revelation

Rullo and Russell firmly stated that the song had been played in the past and didn't quite work and it would never appear on a setlist. LePond said, "that'd be kinda cool." :) Anyway, as much as we all want to hear that song, I sadly don't think it will ever happen.

my realistic setlist would be

I'm really interested in what setlist you all would make, regardless of the bands' opinion :tickled: Don't limit yourself (I would probably want to hear The Sacrifice just as much as Paradise Lost)

Awesome lists so far guys!

At a gig during the Paradise Lost tour I met another fan from these boards (not sure if he's still around). He continuously asked Rullo, LePond, and Russell if they would play The Edge of Forever (not sure why he was so stuck on that song) again at gigs. Rullo and Russell firmly stated that the song had been played in the past and didn't quite work and it would never appear on a setlist. LePond said, "that'd be kinda cool." :) Anyway, as much as we all want to hear that song, I sadly don't think it will ever happen.

I'm trying not to expect a bunch of old songs, so my realistic setlist would be:

(Overture)
01. Nevermore
02. Underworld
03. Inferno
04. Evolution (The Grand Design)
05. Kiss of Fire
06. Without You
07. Eve of Seduction
08. Charon
09. Egypt
10. Dehumanized
11. Out of the Ashes
12. The Accolade II
13. Of Sins and Shadows

The Edge of Forever is a nice song but a little too tame and long to be a successful live number I think. But if that's what you want to hear, list it. The question was your dream set list, not expected one.

With the wide range and quantity of music available to Symphony X everyone will have a different opinion of what should and shouldn't be included and no two dreams will be the same.

Great thread

Ok, then here's my dream setlist. A little longer than 90 mins, but still under 2 hours.

(Overture)
Kiss of Fire
Eve of Seduction
Wicked
Communion and the Oracle
Charon
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Out of the Ashes
Underworld
Absence of Light
Awakenings
Without You
Dressed to Kill
Through the Looking Glass
-----
Sea of Lies
The Accolade/Accolade II
Legend

Underworld
Kiss of Fire
King of Terrors
Rediscovery
The Walls of Babylon
Accolade II
Awakenings
Heretic
---
Dressed to Kill
The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Ok, then here's my dream setlist. A little longer than 90 mins, but still under 2 hours.

(Overture)
Kiss of Fire
Eve of Seduction
Wicked
Communion and the Oracle
Charon
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Out of the Ashes
Underworld
Absence of Light
Awakenings
Without You
Dressed to Kill
-----
Sea of Lies
The Accolade/Accolade II
Legend

I would love to be at that gig

(Oculus Ex Inferni)
Underworld
Kiss of Fire
Inferno
Heretic
Church of the Machine
Swan Song (through the the guitar solo)
(Pinnella piano solo)
Paradise Lost
Charon
The Eyes of Medusa
King of Terrors
Absence of Light
Legend
----------
Iconoclast
Of Sins and Shadows

Five songs from the new album, some live staples, a couple rarities and an old song never played live before. My true "dream" setlist would probably just be full of all the old 7+ minute prog songs, but 90 minutes isn't enough for too many of those and I would be very happy with something like this at a metal show where they're playing after Overkill.