Perfect mic stands for micing up guitar cabs?

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
I just bought two sm57s and two preamps to use them. Now I need some mic stands to be able to set them up on my cab. Any of you guys have a particular one you think is the perfect size? Should I just get one of those short stand/booms people use for kick drums and cabs? or something bigger?

I just get several regular sized microphone stands. Better to have several multi-purpose stands than a few specialized stands. I only use short stands for kick drums.

I started with the normal ones with a boom, then when I happened on a 2 for 1 deal on some cheap low profile ones I jumped on that. I find them easier to work with on amps personally. But they really don't work for anything shorter than 5' (and that's stretching it a tad I think).

Personally I'd go for short ones. A bit easier to work with when mic'ing cabs (tall stands can be a pain to mic bottom speakers with) and they can be useful for mic'ing snares, kicks and floor toms. Hell just get one tall and one short, best of both worlds.

normal boom stands then cut them shorter. makes them great for cabs and snare.

+1 I even have a normal straight stand cut short. works great for cabs and toms (if there's room) I also have a real small boom stand I got for kick drums. I'll jack the small boom off there a lot and stick it on other stands.

I started with the normal ones with a boom, then when I happened on a 2 for 1 deal on some cheap low profile ones I jumped on that. I find them easier to work with on amps personally. But they really don't work for anything shorter than 5' (and that's stretching it a tad I think).

CoolStoryBro.jpg

i like the short stands that are used for kick drums. im tempted to try the clip that clips onto the side of cabs.. anyone tried those?