Solid mic pre for micing guitar cabs

tentimesover

Mar 14, 2009
Hey Guys,
I've always used podfarm for my guitar tone because of the space in which I record. Finally looking at being able to mic guitar cabs and I'd like to get decent mic pre on a tight budget.

Does anyone have a solid suggestion for this?

FMR really nice pre (RNP). They have a very good reputation, as does the less known black lion audio auter pre. Avoid cheapo tube pre's with starved plate designs, it's just a gimmic.

The Golden Age Pre-73 has been getting rave reviews over at Gearslutz. I haven't used it though so I can't vouch for it.

For under $1000, I've personally LOVED my Vintech Dual 72. It sounds HUGE, very thick and a bit dark, which works out great for guitars.

APPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

the 72 is sick

so is the golden age 73

If you want something that you can both saturate and have clean tones, looks at the ART MPA II (regular or digital)

honestly, after hearing preamp shootouts on here before with reamped guitars, the mic pre probably plays the smallest part in the chain, and as such pretty much any decent utility-grade pre is capable of getting the job done!

I'm buying 2 of the pre 73s but I won't have them til April.

wow are you saying they wont be available until then? that sucks!

A general question though; i most probably am gonna go for a couple of the golden age pre 73 as well but i cant seem to find any affordable converters to place after them.. Maybe i can use the RME babyface converters when its out but that means im gonna go a bit beyond my budget..

To what interface are you guys gonna connect your pre73s?

By the way i have been listening to the zen pro audio (dont know if i got the name right) mods to the unit, and while i usually can discern changes in pres , converters etc, this time in all honesty i couldnt hear the difference... though granted i wasnt listening through the best monitors but still i gotta admit, listened to the guitar on the stock then the one on the modded and.. :S? Ill probably end up with the stock.

honestly, after hearing preamp shootouts on here before with reamped guitars, the mic pre probably plays the smallest part in the chain, and as such pretty much any decent utility-grade pre is capable of getting the job done!

Wow I couldn't disagree more.

Admittedly I believe it also depends on the mic to some extent. With an SM57, the pre can make a really large difference. I find it is easier to place and the tones stack a lot better and fit in the mix easier. It is a balance of cut, power and lack of harshness.

I do a shootout almost every time I mic up a new tone. I place it using an A12. Then I do blind tests with the band, volume matched. It is easy for me with the patchbay and a re-amped signal. Even they can hear the differences right away. They always pick the nicer pres. Sounds fuller and bigger and sits in the mix.

I will admit, that once, I had an industrial band pick an SM Pro Audio PR8 channel that I modded with OPA2134's. I keep it around since it does sound great on acoustic guitars and vocals.

Compartively... my DigimaxFS sounds veiled without any richness. Behringer, plastiky top end and upper mids. I try them every time just to be sure. It is subtle but it does make a pretty big difference.

I mean the vein is the same, the tone is mostly there. But it is these subtle differences that can drive you crazy in mixing requiring crazy EQing, compression, and saturation plugs and the like. Vs. just bringing up the faders and quick low-pass/high-pass for rumble and to fizz and maybe a slight cut here or there to make room for other instruments.

As always YMMV.

wow are you saying they wont be available until then? that sucks!

A general question though; i most probably am gonna go for a couple of the golden age pre 73 as well but i cant seem to find any affordable converters to place after them.. Maybe i can use the RME babyface converters when its out but that means im gonna go a bit beyond my budget..

To what interface are you guys gonna connect your pre73s?

By the way i have been listening to the zen pro audio (dont know if i got the name right) mods to the unit, and while i usually can discern changes in pres , converters etc, this time in all honesty i couldnt hear the difference... though granted i wasnt listening through the best monitors but still i gotta admit, listened to the guitar on the stock then the one on the modded and.. :S? Ill probably end up with the stock.

Dude my post is from March 2010 I have the pre's now. They are great on guitars. I just hook them in to a line input on my interface. Currently Motu but will be a profire 2626 very soon. I have the stock ones.

Dude my post is from March 2010 I have the pre's now. They are great on guitars. I just hook them in to a line input on my interface. Currently Motu but will be a profire 2626 very soon. I have the stock ones.

Wow sorry about that LOL i guess its an old thread resurrected!

Thanks for the info man ill check the profire out for conversion!!

Wow I couldn't disagree more.

Admittedly I believe it also depends on the mic to some extent. With an SM57, the pre can make a really large difference. I find it is easier to place and the tones stack a lot better and fit in the mix easier. It is a balance of cut, power and lack of harshness.

I do a shootout almost every time I mic up a new tone. I place it using an A12. Then I do blind tests with the band, volume matched. It is easy for me with the patchbay and a re-amped signal. Even they can hear the differences right away. They always pick the nicer pres. Sounds fuller and bigger and sits in the mix.

I will admit, that once, I had an industrial band pick an SM Pro Audio PR8 channel that I modded with OPA2134's. I keep it around since it does sound great on acoustic guitars and vocals.

Compartively... my DigimaxFS sounds veiled without any richness. Behringer, plastiky top end and upper mids. I try them every time just to be sure. It is subtle but it does make a pretty big difference.

I mean the vein is the same, the tone is mostly there. But it is these subtle differences that can drive you crazy in mixing requiring crazy EQing, compression, and saturation plugs and the like. Vs. just bringing up the faders and quick low-pass/high-pass for rumble and to fizz and maybe a slight cut here or there to make room for other instruments.

As always YMMV.

while i agree that having a good mic pre is important, i remember that glenn fricker posted a shootout maybe a year ago where he re-amped some tracks through API, neve 1272, ward beck, and RME fireface preamps. while there were noticeable differences between each, none of them were night and day, and i'm fairly confident that changing the player, guitar, strings, pickups, amp, cab, and/or mic would affect what comes through the monitors more than the mic preamp. not to say that sweet top end of the neve isn't nice to have on a track, but i'm just trying to point out that one doesn't really need to drop hundreds of dollars per channel to get usable(even professional) results.