Perfect Pinch Harmonics, Bends, Pick Slides....

Where is Kyle? He is the king of that stuff. Anyway punch in if you need to. There is certainly no shame in punching harmonics and bends for cleanliness and intonation.

these things take practice. some people will NEVER be able to do them. crazy as it sounds, I know some "guitarists" that just cant grasp the process. No matter how hard they try, they never manage to get a "feel" for the guitar

but cmon, these are ELEMENTARY guitar techniques. Im no "guitar players guitarist" but these are simple techniques I learned when i was 13 yrs old. they will either come very easily to you, or you just dont have that much inclination as a guitarist. Before i began my journey as a gigging musician/recording engineer, I didnt realize how many "players" just cant grasp the concept of pinching, or bending a note until it reaches another note, and then STOPPING.

as for pick slides, they arent rocket science, just a way of voicing the instrument. like any other notes played on an instrument in a recording, they should be done in time with the music.

With bends and vibrato, it ENTIRELY in the technique.
Fuck using automated pitch shifts and melodyne for that purpose. There is a fine line between technology making things easier and technology hiding a severe lack of talent and ability. Once you cross the line of the latter, that's where it starts to just become bullshit IMO.
For any lead guitarist, if one does not have mastery of either, I tend to not consider them to be very good. Listen to Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael and Chris Amott, Joe Satriani, Mikael Akerfeldt, Jeff Loomis and David Gilmour as just some examples of guys with PERFECT intonation. I could list more, but those are just some of the guys I paid attention to when it came to bends and vibrato.
Satriani in particular is the master of 5 semi tone bends on the G string and 4 semi tone bends on the B and E strings, and those are the kind of bends that are super fucking hard to do and require both a precise ear and fretting hand to pull of.
Even just 20 minutes a day on vibrato and bending and within 2 weeks you will see a drastic improvement, but it has to be proper, focused practice.
Things like taller frets help too.

Pinch harmonics are about 75 per cent technique, and the rest comes to down to gear really.
Someone with good technique can pull of pinch harmonics on a nylon string acoustic if they had to.
Active pickups and certain kinds of medium to high output passive pickups are particularly conducive to better sounding pinch harmonics.

+ 1 Good Post, bending is a huge part of your voice on the guitar and lot of players don't put nearly enough work into it. Satch is a great example.

Also agree with you about the squeelies. If you have the proper technique you can hear them just fine on an unplugged electric.

In some years anyone will be able to fart in front of a mic and listen to a perfect guitar solo just with a Fart-To-Solo plugin.

hahahahaha! good stuff. this needs to be an iphone app. I wouldn't want to be the vocalist that follows usage of the fart mic.

3 fingers with the left hand is key to get ridiculous pinches with crazy bends that's how I did the ones you hear in this clip:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2752403/boom baby X30 Mastered.mp3

there are a lot of factors involved. string gauge, tuning, pickups, how close the pickups are to the strings. the amp used, the amount of gain, etc. I find it really hard to pull off pinches on my mesa stiletto, even at high gain, but I can pull em off without even trying on my 5150 at medium to low gain. I would say probably the biggest factor is how much compression the amp has. another thing that can really help is using a boost pedal of some sort, like a TS

someone once told me (after I had already learned to pinch) that the best way to practice pinches is actually on an acoustic. it forces you to perfect the technique with your right hand.

In some years anyone will be able to fart in front of a mic and listen to a perfect guitar solo just with a Fart-To-Solo plugin.
:lol:
this made me think of those bands that totally suck live but their albulms sound slightly better because of autotune

Why has no one mentioned DL (formerly) from The Acacia Strain!?!?

His were... Just beautiful.