Perhaps the most stupid question of the year

I did until I read this thread.

I did until I read your post.

No, honestly, I havent been under that impression. Live there is always a lot of fans screaming THIS IS SO FUCKING BEATIFUL out loud during a mellow passage. Imagine that at a jazzshow or classical concert, in the middle of a dynamicly light part, someone goin "FUCK YEAH, THIS PART IS AWSOME" on the top of his voice.

And then there is this forum as well.

What I do think, however, is that Opeth can broaden the taste of any metalhead, which is amazing. A lot of guys previously listening exclusively to metal get into psych/progg/acid and all sorts of 'forgotten' genres.

I think just "they" (or "we" or whatever) are on a slightly higher level of musical understanding. And I´m talking about people who are into long songs with lots of rhythmic/mood changes and odd time stuff anyway, so you could say that about almost anyone who listens to Dream Theater or Meshuggah for example and therefore "trains" his ears and his musical brain to get it all, but not about Opeth fans exclusively. So, for musical understanding I´d say yes, but nor for intelligence in general.

Horsehockey. Have you ever been to an Opeth concert? There are just as many morons there as any other :p

As far as I know no one's ever proven any correlation between musical taste and intelligence. Class is another issue. I've got a feeling Opeth fans are more middle-class than your average metal band. Which might have something to do with a supposed musical maturity which would be favoured by the "slightly more well off" (OMG JAZZ INFLUENZEZ!).