Personal "Greatest Hits" compilations

jimmy101

Sep 19, 2018
Here's something that could prove to be a fun little exercise. Pick one of your favourite bands, count the number of studio albums they have released and then double that number. Once you have that number, create a hypothetical "Greatest Hits" compilation featuring the aforementioned number of tracks (this gives you an average of two songs per album).
You don't have to worry about including songs that were released as singles, or had videos made for them, or were popular hits, if you don't want to. Just include the songs that YOU like the most. You don't have to worry about including songs from each and every album either.
For example Slayer have released 12 studio albums, so here is what my 24-track Slayer "Greatest Hits" compilation would look like:

1. The Antichrist
2. Die by the Sword
3. Hell Awaits
4. At Dawn they Sleep
5. Praise of Death
6. Chemical Warfare
7. Angel of Death
8. Altar of Sacrifice
9. Jesus Saves
10. Raining Blood
11. South of Heaven
12. Live Undead
13. Ghosts of War
14. War Ensemble
15. Spirit in Black
16. Seasons in the Abyss
17. Dead Skin Mask
18. Dittohead
19. Divine Intervention
20. Gemini
21. Bitter Peace
22. Disciple
23. Jihad
24. Supremist

Whaddya think? Would love to see what some of you other guys come up with! Slayer or otherwise.

If I had to do Slayer it would look something like this (in release order)

The Antichrist
Die By The Sword
Hell Awaits
At Dawn They Sleep
Angel Of Death
Piece By Piece
Altar Of Sacrifice
Raining Blood
South Of Heaven
Mandatory Suicide
Ghosts Of War
War Ensemble
Blood Red
Skeletons Of Society
Born Of Fire
Seasons In The Abyss
Stain Of The Mind
Disciple
Threshold
Exile
Seven Faces
Payback
Repentless
Cast The First Stone

Reactions: jimmy101
Nice looking best-of, Slammed. Awesome that you included "Born of Fire", that's actually one of my favourite cuts from Seasons, and it was unluckily not to make my final compilation. Interesting to see that God Hates Us All got such strong representation (five tracks!), outnumbering even RIB & HA. Yet Divine Intervention & Christ Illusion have no representation, are you not much of a fan of those albums?

I also see you've thrown in a couple of Repentless tracks in there, something I didn't do. I've tried numerous times to like that album, but just haven't been able to enjoy it upon listening to it.

I was not a fan of DI or CI. Not sure why, could be because I didn't listen to them enough when they came out and really haven't gone back to them. I did however listen to GHUA a lot. It was an album I bought as soon as the shops opened on release day, I was living by myself in a place I didn't like and I only had about 15 or so albums with me because space was so limited. Between my car and my discman GHUA got played a hell of a lot. I know a lot of people can that album, many say the songs are shit and lyrics are worse but I found a lot of anger in it and the constant playing obviously effected my brain.

A Deluge of Hits: Best of Manilla Road!

37832953_1781539691972308_4834199417810583552_n.jpg

Tracklist:

1. Crystal Logic
2. The Prophecy
3. The Arena
4. Throne of Blood
5. Metal
6. Necropolis
7. Abattoir de la Mort
8. The Veils of Negative Existence
9. Mystification
10. Conquest
11. Dig Me No Grave
12. Queen of the Black Coast
13. The Ninth Wave
14. The Ram
15. Seven Trumpets
16. Enter the Warrior
17. Atlantis Rising
18. Avatar
19. Up from the Crypt
20. The Fall of Iliam
21. The Riddle Master
22. Totentanz (The Dance of Death)
23. Defender
24. Return of the Old Ones
25. Metalström
26. Dragon Star
27. The Books of Skelos
28. Astronomica
29. Mysterium
30. To Kill a King
31. The Empire
32. Rome
33. The Deluge
34. Helicon
35. The Battle of Bonchester Bridge
36. Road of Kings
37. Tomes of Clay (bonus track)

I was not a fan of DI or CI. Not sure why, could be because I didn't listen to them enough when they came out and really haven't gone back to them. I did however listen to GHUA a lot. It was an album I bought as soon as the shops opened on release day, I was living by myself in a place I didn't like and I only had about 15 or so albums with me because space was so limited. Between my car and my discman GHUA got played a hell of a lot. I know a lot of people can that album, many say the songs are shit and lyrics are worse but I found a lot of anger in it and the constant playing obviously effected my brain.

I know exactly what you mean mate, sometimes there are albums that you associate with good times, and by all means they deserve love for triggering nostalgic moments. And yeah, GHUA is possibly Slayer's most "angry" album!

Diabolus, GHUA and Repentless are trash. Divine Intervention and Christ Illusion both have some killer tracks ...

Christ Illusion
was their best album since DI

Agree 100%. If there are two Slayer albums that endure unnecessary amounts of ridicule it's those two. DI is amazing, more energetic and savage than the two albums that preceded it imo. Amazing hybrid of styles too. Some of the reasons I've heard why people don't like it is cause Lombardo isn't on it, & the production sucks. I guess if people like Lombardo more that's fair enough, but to rag on an album cause of its production is ridiculous. Basically means those people aren't listening to the songs themselves, but rather the mix. Idiocy. There's so much fun to be had with DI.

As for CI, well, that one baffles me. Basically Slayer fans got everything they ever wanted. The stars were once again in alignment. Lombardo was back, the artist who created the classic RIB, SOH & SITA album covers had returned, and the band were once again playing straight up thrash (with all of that nu metal tinge completely removed, mind you). Not only that, but the music is damn good & full of energy from cover to cover. Plus Araya had stopped saying "fuck" every other minute. It saddens me when people shit on that album.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
A Deluge of Hits: Best of Manilla Road!

View attachment 16905

Tracklist:

1. Crystal Logic
2. The Prophecy
3. The Arena
4. Throne of Blood
5. Metal
6. Necropolis
7. Abattoir de la Mort
8. The Veils of Negative Existence
9. Mystification
10. Conquest
11. Dig Me No Grave
12. Queen of the Black Coast
13. The Ninth Wave
14. The Ram
15. Seven Trumpets
16. Enter the Warrior
17. Atlantis Rising
18. Avatar
19. Up from the Crypt
20. The Fall of Iliam
21. The Riddle Master
22. Totentanz (The Dance of Death)
23. Defender
24. Return of the Old Ones
25. Metalström
26. Dragon Star
27. The Books of Skelos
28. Astronomica
29. Mysterium
30. To Kill a King
31. The Empire
32. Rome
33. The Deluge
34. Helicon
35. The Battle of Bonchester Bridge
36. Road of Kings
37. Tomes of Clay (bonus track)

Niiiice. For someone like me who has only ever really listened to Crystal Logic, a compilation such as this would be the perfect way for me to get into more Manilla Road. Might have to make a playlist out of this sometime soon.

Reactions: Onder and CiG
Awesome!

jr5Irz1.png

Agree. Shame the rest of the album doesn't live up to that song.

Unit 731 is indeed a nice little number. Rest of the album is just a bit too tame & formulaic unfortunately. I have the same problem with Repentless.

Anyway, here's Pantera (Phil only). The band released six albums with Phil on vox, which gives me only 12 tracks to work with. Not much wiggle room here! I could cheat and add in their first 3 albums but I'm not gonna.

1. Cowboys From Hell
2. Heresy
3. The Art of Shredding
4. A New Level
5. Strength Beyond Strength
6. Shedding Skin
7. The Great Southern Trendkill
8. Floods
9. The Underground in America
10. Where You Come From
11. It Makes them Disappear
12. I'll Cast a Shadow

Reactions: zerostatic
Reactions: CiG
Well apparently Phil is good at burning bridges so you could be right.