Personal Guitar Pro 3 Challenge!

_Gentleman of_the Snow_

Prog' Drummer
Oct 30, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I finally got my desktop computer running again... which means Guitar Pro 3 time!
Just for fun, and to get back into things, I thought I'd challenge myself:

I want to compose a MIDI track that sounds like it could've been straight off of one of the following bands' albums. I want to try to pick up on their styles, and see if I can convincingly compose a similar track!

Place your vote for which band you would like me to attempt:

Symphony X
Opeth
Pain of Salvation
Porcupine Tree
Dream Theater
Anathema

Whichever bands receivers the most votes (no poll; just type your vote) will be the band I must attempt to emulate.

Once done, I will share the track!

Participation from other composers (doesn't have to be MIDI) would be greatly appreciated!

Let's go!

(If nobody votes, since these forums tend to be pretty idle, or because nobody cares, lol, I will just randomly choose a band and work on it anyway!)

Opeth, Pain of Salvation and SX have very distinctive styles imo, trying one of them would be challenging and definitely fun.

I'll vote on Opeth, simply because I find it unique.

Symphony X: 0 (unexpected)
Porcupine Tree: 0
Anathema: 1
Dream Theater: 1
Opeth: 3.5
Pain of Salvation: 1.5

I'm cutting the voting off now, since I have some free time to get started tonight!

Looks like the winner is Opeth! Opeth is the band I was hoping for... and not for any reason in particular, really.

Wish me luck!

Symphony X: 0 (unexpected)
Porcupine Tree: 0
Anathema: 1
Dream Theater: 1
Opeth: 3.5
Pain of Salvation: 1.5

I'm cutting the voting off now, since I have some free time to get started tonight!

Looks like the winner is Opeth! Opeth is the band I was hoping for... and not for any reason in particular, really.

Wish me luck!

Good luck with that! I'm really curious on what's gonna come out of this.

It's going to take a while because I don't have much time to dedicate, but I will definitely finish it.
I've got an intro written so far... my only problem is that it's starting to sound like a song *I* would write... not Opeth. It's hard to scrap those parts because I like 'em!... but I must.

If I were to guess, I'd say 3-4 weeks. I hope the forum's interest is still here at that point, lol.

EDIT: ^ Same time post ftw.

Dream Theater, not because it would be a challenge (actually it would be the easiest one, just use wacky keyboard effects, 7/8 riffs, and boring vocal phrasings) but because it would probably be the funniest.