Pete Sandoval>Every other DM drummer

Um. He's very good, but off the top of my head I could list bunch that top him.

1) Kollias
2) Flo Mounier
3) John Longstreth
4) John Merryman
5) Gene Hoglan
6) JAMIE SAINT MOTHERFUCKING MERAT
7) Hannes Grossman
8) Romain Goulon

Haha, I only say pete is better because he built death metal drumming (Not completely, so don't flip shit). Without pete, the drummers listed wouldn't have somewhat of a blueprint to build THEIR style off of. I'd say flo would be second. Mike Smith is up there too.

Haha, I only say pete is better because he built death metal drumming (Not completely, so don't flip shit). Without pete, the drummers listed wouldn't have somewhat of a blueprint to build THEIR style off of. I'd say flo would be second. Mike Smith is up there too.

first =/= best.

vocabulary bro... it's important.

and @above, yeah i was like... is there any reason Drod wasnt listen? lawl.

derek roddy 88'

it's not like sandroval invented it... you gotta keep in mind aswell that there are going to be a number of bands in an area that are developing a sound together - and morbid angel just happened to end up being the one popular enough for you to hear.

p.s. its so fucking gay how I had barely been born(dec 87) when that video was made... so when I feel like I'll never be as good as D rod, it's worth noting that he was doing this when I was still a spermy in my daddys sack.

Points for originality of course, but just because someone was earlier doesn't make them better. It's also bullshit to say that without one guy no one else would have done it. As though he was the only drummer on the planet that could figure out the death style drumming. Blast beats and double bass licks had been around for quite a while at this point.

Points for originality of course, but just because someone was earlier doesn't make them better. It's also bullshit to say that without one guy no one else would have done it. As though he was the only drummer on the planet that could figure out the death style drumming. Blast beats and double bass licks had been around for quite a while at this point.

no one would have ever figured out how to hit the bass, then the snare over and over as fast as they can...

that is simply... unheard of.

Um. He's very good, but off the top of my head I could list bunch that top him.

1) Kollias
2) Flo Mounier
3) John Longstreth
4) John Merryman
5) Gene Hoglan
6) JAMIE SAINT MOTHERFUCKING MERAT
7) Hannes Grossman
8) Romain Goulon

Technically they might be able to do a few things that Pete would struggle with, but there is more to drumming than just skill. Pete is a better and more creatively interesting DM drummer (imo) than anyone mentioned in this thread yet.

Technically they might be able to do a few things that Pete would struggle with, but there is more to drumming than just skill. Pete is a better and more creatively interesting DM drummer (imo) than anyone mentioned in this thread yet.

I think you're unable to pass the appropriate judgement... maybe you haven't seen nearly as much as you should have from GK or DRod.

I'm just going to assume you either arent a musician, or more exclusively arent a drummer.

but this is the internet, and you are entitled to an opinion.

You have to be off your nut.

Just for JSM. And you're calling Pete "creatively interesting"? C'mon. His style could pretty much be described as "blast, blast s'more, slow 'er down, more blasting", especially in his Morbid Angel days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're unable to pass the appropriate judgement... maybe you haven't seen nearly as much as you should have from GK or DRod.

Yea, they are great metal drummers, but neither of them have drummed on a real decent death metal album.

I'm just going to assume you either arent a musician, or more exclusively arent a drummer.

:Smug:

SomeGuyDude said:
And you're calling Pete "creatively interesting"? C'mon. His style could pretty much be described as "blast, blast s'more, slow 'er down, more blasting", especially in his Morbid Angel days. .

Yea sure.

edit: I should have said that there was more to drumming on a death metal album than just skill.

Er... yeah. The drummers I mentioned are all DM drummers and do far more interesting and varied things than Pete. Again, watch the Jamie Saint Merat video.

Er... yeah. The drummers I mentioned are all DM drummers and do far more interesting and varied things than Pete. Again, watch the Jamie Saint Merat video.

dont even bother with this downie bastard... his idea of what makes a good drummer has absolutely nothing to do with actually being a good drummer

:zombie: mo.. bid... anjell... i... like... mo-bit angjell...

u... like... mo-bid... anjell?

dont even bother with this downie bastard... his idea of what makes a good drummer has absolutely nothing to do with actually being a good drummer

:zombie: mo.. bid... anjell... i... like... mo-bit angjell...

u... like... mo-bid... anjell?

So your idea of a good drummer is progressive technicality (ie. complex rhythms in unique time signatures) and skill owed to countless hours of practice in confinement. Its my opinion that the drummers you have listed, although fantastically skilled, tend not to work well with others when writing albums. Im not trying to downplay the technical ability of Derek Roddy or GK, but I think that working well with a band and writing good music on record is what makes a good death metal drummer.

You can stop with the nerdy elitist prog attitude already, jerkoff :Smug:

Basically all that's happening here is you love Morbid Angel and are just bringing Pete along for the ride in what I refer to as the "Lars Ulrich Effect". Pete's a great drummer, but had he not been with a legendary act, would you hold him in such high regard?

And wait, why are you blaming the drummers for lackluster songs? So if the greatest drummer on the planet is in a band with a guitarist that couldn't write a memorable riff to save his life, it's the drummers fault that the band's output isn't good?

Listen to Kollias. You cannot tell me any drummer could fit their Egyptian sound better than him. His drumming is PERFECT for the band. But again, you apparently just don't LIKE Nile as much as MA, so for some reason that means Pete > George.

Basically all that's happening here is you love Morbid Angel and are just bringing Pete along for the ride in what I refer to as the "Lars Ulrich Effect". Pete's a great drummer, but had he not been with a legendary act, would you hold him in such high regard?

No, probably not, but the thing is I view good death metal drumming in context. So if there is no good application of the ability to compose good music (in this case death metal), then I cant possibly make a good judgment. I will repeat, technical skill does not mean you are a good death metal drummer. Though Pete does more interesting things with the blast than you give him credit for.

And wait, why are you blaming the drummers for lackluster songs? So if the greatest drummer on the planet is in a band with a guitarist that couldn't write a memorable riff to save his life, it's the drummers fault that the band's output isn't good?

To a point yes, band members should be able to unleash the latent ability of their mates. Flo used to be able to do this and is why the first two Cryptopsy albums are great, even though the guitarists are kind of sub-par.

Listen to Kollias. You cannot tell me any drummer could fit their Egyptian sound better than him. His drumming is PERFECT for the band. But again, you apparently just don't LIKE Nile as much as MA, so for some reason that means Pete > George.

Yea, im not a big fan of later Nile. I just have a problem regarding drummers as exceptional (especially in the context of DM, probably even moreso with BM) when they dont drum on anything I find that interesting. However I would be willing to admit that GK and DR are being limited by the musicians they associate themselves with, but its impossible to say whether they would perform good death metal or not (in my god damn opinion) if given the ideal lineup. Real examples > potential. Sorry if this makes me view technically inferior drummers as "better", but I hope now you can at least understand where I am coming from instead of thinking of me as a mindless MA fanboy. Im just a fan of death metal as an artform and hate letting things like technical skill and reputation cloud my judgment.