Phantom of the Opera : Nightwish or Iced Earth?

Phantom of the Opera : Nightwish or Iced Earth's story

• Nightwish

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Iced Earth

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Both are excellent. Too hard to choose.

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for the NW version on the basis of a live performance (10/21/05) which destroyed their recorded vesion, and damn near anyone elses. If you wanted it based only on recorded versions, well, should have said so. :)

To cast aside Nightwish's version JUST b/c it is a cover, rather closed-minded, no? There are lots of kick ass covers, and this song is one example.

Nightwish - Phantom of the Opera (LIVE)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C0XKWaVWcHo

This coming from a BIG Barlow-era Iced Earth fan. But put song-to-song, NW delivers. Interesting poll...

Well it was asked whose presentation do you prefer. Nightwish's or Iced Earth's. The presentation is not Nightwish's. It's Andrew Lloyd Webber's and the guy who wrote the lyrics whom I'm forgetting. Put that option up and I'll vote for them. Nightwish didn't create or change anything. Iced Earth created their own song and worked with it from scratch.
That said, I hate covers where the band doesn't add anything of their own. The only real change in Nightwish's version is Marco's rougher voice over someone like Michael Crawford. Story wise, a voice like Michael's fits better. Part of the reason I didn't like the recent movie. The Phantom they got was a very bad voice.

Point taken. Then this thread is pointless if that's how it's being interpretted.

But to breakdown semantics, I *prefer* Nightwish's RE-PRESENTATION over Iced Earth's original concept. NW are a symphonic band with an operatic singer. Conceptually, the material is a natural fit for the band. If they chose to do an original version, I feel it would still be better. Plus, to *see* Nightwish perform their presentation/representation... just seals it for me personally. And Tarja as Christine... 'nuff said.

I'd rather hear Barlow booming about hell and stygian... and I do love to hear him do that very thing. I don't think Barlow gets into the eeriness or romanticism of his performance as the Phantom nearly as much as Marco either. Didn't Schaeffer even want to re-record Horror Show with Ripper b/c he didn't think Barlow's heart was in it?

Point taken. Then this thread is pointless if that's how it's being interpretted.

But to breakdown semantics, I *prefer* Nightwish's RE-PRESENTATION over Iced Earth's original concept. NW are a symphonic band with an operatic singer. Conceptually, the material is a natural fit for the band. If they chose to do an original version, I feel it would still be better. Plus, to *see* Nightwish perform their presentation/representation... just seals it for me personally. And Tarja as Christine... 'nuff said.

I'd rather hear Barlow booming about hell and stygian... and I do love to hear him do that very thing. I don't think Barlow gets into the eeriness or romanticism of his performance as the Phantom nearly as much as Marco either. Didn't Schaeffer even want to re-record Horror Show with Ripper b/c he didn't think Barlow's heart was in it?
I don't think anyone said they didn't like NW's version of Phantom of the Opera, but I think it just stands to reason that Iced Earth's original version of The Phantom Opera Ghost should get a little bit more credit for being more original.

As for Schaffer wanting to re-record with Ripper over Barlow ... that was true only in the case of The Glorious Burden. Barlow apperantly did sing on the first version of that disc, but his heart wasn't into it, and he was planning his departure. Jon then hooked up with Ripper.

Barlow's performance on Horror Show is spectacular. Some of his best performances can be found on that disc. Also in my opinion Barlow blows the doors off of Marco ... so that part of the equation was an easy score for IE. I'd give Tarja the edge over the female lead from the IE song. All in all though the thing that puts IE's version over the top is that it's an original adaptation of the song, and NW's version is just another cover version of the Andrew Lloyd Webber version.

Britt

I loved Iced Earth's version thats the whole reason i bought Horror Show. Nightwish's is incredible but like others have said IE is original and strangely beautiful.

I wish I would have remembered to include Iron Maiden's version as an option. Truthfully, I didn't even think about it. :ill: I love the song, but it's been ages since I listened to it. That song has to be over 20 years old. No, it's not been 20 years since I listened to it last. :lol: It would have been a nice option (classic metal band and more contemporary bands).

And to be honest, I didn't even know that Nightwish's version was actually a cover of (what I now know as the original) ALW's composition. I must lead a pretty sheltered life. So, when I posted the poll, I was interested in just the sonic aspects and emotions of the songs as they related to the listener. IE certainly deserve extra credit for being totally original, but I obviously didn't intend for that to factor into the decision (I thought they were both originals :erk:).

As for Schaffer wanting to re-record with Ripper over Barlow ... that was true only in the case of The Glorious Burden. Barlow apperantly did sing on the first version of that disc, but his heart wasn't into it, and he was planning his departure. Jon then hooked up with Ripper.

Thanks. To digress from the topic of this thread, I'd kill for a Barlow/Glorious Burden alternate version released. In spite of Schaeffer's opinion, respectfully. I'm sure that's been said before, but I'll say again.

He is uncommonly loyal to the product he wants to deliver IE fans. I get that, I appreciate that. But in this case, I think he's depriving a core of IE fans what they'd like *the option* of owning. I can't imagine any level of Barlow's performance damaging his legacy.

Would this be unprecedented or blasphemous? Has any band released alternate versions of entire albums with different singers? The Enemies of Reality re-mix fiasco is the only comparison that comes to mind... but that was just the mix.