Phial - Overtones

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Phial - Overtones
Independant - 2000
By Stephen Lord

For a reviewer whose knowledge of “contemporary” hard rock goes no further than that left behind by Faith No More and Soundgarden, Phial’s eight song debut EP Overtones, comes as a bit of a rude awakening. I tried hard to like it, I really did, but the band’s style of raw, unpolished aggression (complete with explicit language and much shouting) just doesn’t appeal to me. I have no doubts about Phial’s musicianship, creativity and cohesiveness as a group, but the way they choose to express them seems like a tragic waste of talent. Bands who play this sort of music are a dime a dozen in the US, and Australian talent can do a lot better than simply copying that style.
As seems to be the case with most “nu- metal” releases, the lyric booklet is an indispensable aid and it’s difficult to tell where one track starts and another finishes. The mix is not so much a wall of noise as a twelve storey apartment block, and the vocalist tries hard to make himself heard above it.

Yet Overtones is not without its merits. The title track, TV Addict and Cadence are noteworthy for the ideas their lyrics put across, and it is evident that the band have put a lot of thought into writing them. Read along as you listen and you’ll discover there’s plenty of substance to be found under the distortion and feedback.

Your reviewer is the first to admit that he is not the most qualified to comment on this style of music, as whenever I hear it, I am instantly reminded why I don’t make a habit of listening to it. For those who know what to expect from the genre, then Phial might just be the band for you.