pick ups

Well Im liking the sound of it pretty good. We practiced a long time yesterday and that guitar is all I played. Its a different tone, like I said, more mid, more bright but that may be the guitar and pickup position. It sounds good clean combined with my neck pup and I never thought any bridge pup sounded good clean by itself. It does clean up fine though, its just that twangy dry sound. The Invader is not their most aggressive. However I will say it definantly howls like a bitch in heat at any rest with gain so Im not happy about that and will stay away from hotter pups in the future. Maybe one day I'll pull this one back out and do a switch with the Seymour in my Kramer, then I will be able to compare better.

I'm liking this guitar alot actually, now I need to figure out how to get a Kahler on it and I'll be very happy. Oh and the friggin nut sticks.... what a PITA, I need to have a new one made or make it myself.

I'm somewhat curious, you have a p-90 you wanted replacing but you dropped in a humbucker in the route w/o any adaptation?
Both Duncan and Dimarzio make P-90 sized humbucking direct replacements. Duncan makes the small mini series, the SM-3 is a nice pup, kinda pricey tho.
Dimarzio offers many of their popular pickup winds in a p-90 sized humbucker, Super Distortion, tone Zone, etc...

Gibson also offers mini hums that fit into a p-90 size, they have been about for years. (LP Deluxe)
The reverse is also offered by Gibson too. Gibson offers a p-90 style pickup for a humbucking routed mount, a P-94
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson Gear/Pickups/P-94/.
This works great for applications where someone may want to need a p-90 tone in a humbucker slot, like a neck pickup on a 335 or an LP.

There's plenty of options available, so many it'll make yer head spin.

The Invader was a 'new' pickup while I was in high school when it was introduced back in the early 80's. I have owned a couple, I think I still have an older one laying about here somewhere. (I've owned alot of pickups and have quite a stash)
Everyone has their choices, the Invader never really was one of mine but really, ...whatever you get, it usually takes some getting used to and you end up eq'ing what you want and what you don't want in just about anything you use. It adapts to you and you to it. You typically make choices based upon your gear and what you want out of a pickup. If it works for ya, then cool, all the more reason to keep it. Most major pickup companies offer a gaurantee/limited exchange period in case you want to change your mind.

Yes, these are not traditional "soap bar" P90's. These are the same exact dimensions as a humbucker. Great big fat, tall wax potted single coils.

Ken - Noise suppressor ? Talk to me.... is this same as a noise gate. I dont think it will help anyhow. This effects unit of mine has some kind of trigger on it. For example if you are standing there silent it goes silent, until you make the slightest noise like just moving your fingers down the strings or even lifting them off the strings for example, just that little scratch will activate it. Not sure if thats the noise gate or what.... remember Im technology challenged..... lol This unit has stuff on it I dont even know what it does. Like an Exciter, Noise gate, Envelope filter ..... WTF ? Im not even sure how to use the parameters of a compressor to be honest. Its this thing http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=91&cat=14&id=33

I think Im just gonna have to get fast with my volumn pot on the guitar.

Yeah, it's the noise gate you're describing. There are settings on it to increase or decrease the sensitivity- how much of a clang you have to make before it actually sends some sound out. Turning down the sensitivity makes the gate stronger. This reduces unwanted noise. Do it too much though, and some of your more light and expressive notes also get cut out.

I can talk about compressors, envelopes, and exciters later haha

Thanks Ken, I'll toy with my parameters later tonight and see what results I find. I might be alright because I dont use any light touch on my riff preset.... strictly for slammin

Just wanted to update again being how I've had plenty of hours on that guitar now. I'm lovin it. The sound of the Invader as well as the feel of that particular guitar, its a freak guitar to most eyes, not mine its a "left handed thing" I cant explain... but Im loving the way it hangs, the neck is further out in front and beside me, better for my long-ish arms. Hangs totally different from Strat or the Gibson style as well. I'll post pics when I get done modding it. Its a pickguard guitar and needs a "red zigzag" guard, with a little shape adjustments. Its currently a antique white pearl on black guitar, black w/red are my colors. I have to do something with the headstock, but thats later, it will be a Warmoth paddle with my design to match the edgyness of the body.

I dont even play the Kramer much anymore, they both have totally different tone and I like both but this Invader ripps a bit better, not as phat as the Seymour in the Kramer but more rip and definition, I am going to move it 1/4" to 3/8" further from the bridge, router time... next time the strings are due, that will fatten it up some. Thanks for the rec. Schenk :cool:

thanks for advising me toward the gate Ken !

heres what it looked like when I got it, still the same except for the tail pup.... never mind... I guess we cant link photos on this section ?

It links though... freakish looking thing... ey ? I love it but for some problems with the pickguard. Remember thats lefthanded so the long horn is on the bottom....... lol.... f'in ecentric left handers.........