Pickup Advice

Jun 17, 2013
United States
I realize that a lot of you on this forum are musicians and play guitar. I recently acquired an older (1997) Jacson RR3 and it needs an overhaul. From what I can see it is completely stock but has been neglected for a long time. It currently has the EMG HZ pickups which I have never been a fan of. I am looking for suggestions for a passive pickup to replace with. I play mostly metal, progressive, thrash, heavier styles for the most part. I have a few Ibanez guitars that I have typically replaced the pickups with Dimarzio's and this time for the Jackson I'm leaning towards Seymour Duncans. Any suggestions out there?

I realize that a lot of you on this forum are musicians and play guitar. I recently acquired an older (1997) Jacson RR3 and it needs an overhaul. From what I can see it is completely stock but has been neglected for a long time. It currently has the EMG HZ pickups which I have never been a fan of. I am looking for suggestions for a passive pickup to replace with. I play mostly metal, progressive, thrash, heavier styles for the most part. I have a few Ibanez guitars that I have typically replaced the pickups with Dimarzio's and this time for the Jackson I'm leaning towards Seymour Duncans. Any suggestions out there?
I own a lot of guitars with many different pickups. I recently installed a pair of seymour duncan black winter on my jackson. They are amazing , much better and heavier than the jb's. If you are looking for a lot a bite and great clarity , try the Black winter.

Reactions: DarkGuitarLord
I have listened to and watched demos of the Black Winters and also the Nazgul/Sentient combo on youtube and am floored by both. I have a John 5 Telecaster that I've been needing to upgrade the pickups for a few years now. I may end up getting both sets and putting the Black Winters in the J5 and putting the Nazrul/Sentient in the RR3. Thanks for the suggestions.

My favorite passive pickup is probably the Dimarzio Super Distortion. Next favorite would be the Seymour Duncan SH-5.

I absolutely hate the JB. Worst pickup ever, IMO. Sorry.