PickUps: Pasive to Active

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
I'm thinking about changing my passive Seymour Duncans and install some active EMG in a Jackson RR3. Is it too difficult?
I've changed a couple of times the pickups of my guitars but always Passive-To-Passive.
How should I create the room for the 9V battery? Any advice?

I'm thinking about changing my passive Seymour Duncans and install some active EMG in a Jackson RR3. Is it too difficult?
I've changed a couple of times the pickups of my guitars but always Passive-To-Passive.
How should I create the room for the 9V battery? Any advice?

Just as easy as installing passives. But make sure you buy one of the complete kits, it will give you the correct pots and caps, and you also need a stereo plug.

I never had a problem getting the battery to fit in the standard control cavity. I just use one of those thin metal battery clips to keep it from flopping all around.

I did the exact opposite. I went from Duncans to EMGs and back to Duncans. A lot of people like active pickups, but to me they sound boring. Plug in to a good amp and you'll hear the lack of dimension that you get. Fine for a lot of hi-gain metal, but pitiful for everything else.

It's no harder than installing passives. As long as you can solder decently, you'll be fine.

In an install of mine, I just wrapped the battery in the foam that the EMG was packed in and stuck it in the original control cavity. There was plenty of room.

I did the exact opposite. I went from Duncans to EMGs and back to Duncans. A lot of people like active pickups, but to me they sound boring. Plug in to a good amp and you'll hear the lack of dimension that you get. Fine for a lot of hi-gain metal, but pitiful for everything else.

I agree but I seldom play "everything else".
My other guitar is a Washburn with EMG and sounds better than the Jackson with Duncans, that's the reason.