Pickups suggestion

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

I have a Cort M600 which is a very confortable guitar, but I am having too much trouble getting a good tone out of it. It has a mahogany body with a not-so-thick maple top and it currently uses a 81/85 combo. I loved how the 85 sounded on the bridge, but it was too muddy, and the 81 sounds better, but kinda choked. I am looking for something more open sounding - actives or passive, it doesnt matter. I'd just avoid ceramic pickups, as usually I dislike 'em. I don't care much for it being able to sound metal, as I play mostly rock, but if it can go up to metal, it is a bonus.

Cheers
Ivan

I would say bare Knuckle Miracle Mans but I might be accused of being a SS.org fanboi ...lol Its also Ceramic Magnet, The War Pig may be more your style.

You may want to try the Alnico Pro II great all around pickup although its medium gain.

J'accuse!

I have a ceramic BKP Warpig, and I think it's a great pup, especially for heavy rhythm tones.

I haven't tried any of the other BKP myself, but they do seem to make a pup for just about every guitar style out there.

Hey guys, thanks for the answers.

Cory, it is interesting you suggested this Fralin pickup. I email BKP and Tim suggested me the Abraxas pickup, which has VERY similar caracteristics to the Fralin High output humbucker - Alnico IV, around 14k, similar price. I never played a Alnico IV pickup (had in the past II, V, VIII and Ceramics), and they supposedly are Alnico V without the scoopness, have a flatter frequency response, sound PAF-ish.

I have no money atm, so I have time to study some more and make the right choice. Btw, I removed the tone control from my guitar and it has brightened the tone A LOT. Interesting.

If your looking for something more 'open' sounding, go for a lower output pickup. I find super high output pickups can get muddy and undefined real quick, but low output pickups can also have almost too much highs and become 'spanky'. If that's the case, you can always experiment with pot values, typically 500k for humbuckers. My les paul is kinda bright and I usually play with the tone backed off so i'm thinking of dropping to 300k pots.

I only find high output pickups useful with low gain amps, like tube fender amps and prefer low output pickups for high gain amps. there's no reason to slam the preamp when you can do it with controls.