Picture disks? Vinyls? Knowledge in here please

Soul of a new Machine

I share the discovery!
Mar 2, 2002
Quebec
www.supercrossquebec.com
Anyone here who collect Pics disk? I have a dozen. It really looks good, but on the other hand, it piss me off when a band (like Iron Maiden for example) stop producing, or makind easily available regular vinyl or at least colored ones of their most recent release, and only release pics disks.

Why? Because I still think vinyls have the best sound in the industry and recently bought a new turntable. I listen to some vinyls at least twice a week (Not more because I don't want to ruin my good old vinyls and because I listen to them very loud and it annoys my neighboor).

But I never tried listening to a pic disk, I know I shouldn't, but I'm curious... Wich bring us to the question of the week:

Have you ever tried listening to a picture disk? Does it sound bad? How bad? Does the picture won't last or get the needles dirty?

I have a picture disc of The Headless Children by WASP and I listen to it sometimes.... it doesn't do anything to the picture I know that for..... well it might I spose over a long long period of time but I haven't noticed it looking any worse. However the sound isn't that good on it, but it might just be the condition of the record (got it 2nd hand)... it's hard to tell if the tracks are in good condition or not on a picture vinyl. It is possible though that the sound quality is a little less on picture vinyls than regular ones...

I have some Metallica pic disks that I bought second hand. They were definatly played before hand so I used to crank them all the time. Still sounded awsome and STILL do now. Picture is still intact. :D

I don't think the picture itself can be damaged by playing the vinyl because the picture is not on the surface. I only have two picdiscs since I mostly concentrate on regular vinyls :) Picdiscs can look good but I prefer the regular format. They're more fun!

I too think vinyls are much better than CDs. Not only do they look better but they have more genuine and warm sound compared to the cold digital CDs. Plus they have kind of a nostalgic feel which I like ;)