Pimpin' time; the new Uriah Heep album !!

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
Time to pimp a new album. Don't do it that often, just when I think it's REAL good.
I kinda lost track with Heep late 80's. So when I saw the new album "Wake the Sleeper", I was very curious how they sound these days... What a suprise !!!!
This is a very solid hardrock album, one of the best I heard in last years. Some pretty "hard" uptempo songs and a few real good melodic songs. Great roaring Hammond, just as in the early Heep days !! If this was released in the 70's-80's I'm pretty sure it would have been regarded as a "classic" rock album.

So .... Download, listen and buy if you like it !!

Going to see them live on November 11th :headbang:

wtscover_smal.jpg

I'm right there with you buddy! I played it for everyone while camping last week, and everyone said they liked it a lot, even those not familiar with UH. This week, no camping due to rain, I've had it in the cd player in my truck since Tuesday. It just doesn't want to come out! I'm pretty sure this album is gonna land in my top 5 this year, if not the top 3.

Awesome album by the Heapsters!

I like it too, and was wondering when someone woud bring it up here - don't know why I didn't...

Anyway, I bought it after a review in Classic Rock said, "...Uriah Heep out purple's purple at this point..."

I liked that comment.

Anyway, it's true that it's a fine album for a bunch of geezers.

Very strong comeback, hope it doesn't take another 10 years until the next one. This lineup totally delivers live as well, I mean everything from 1969 to this day sound fantastic. Trevor Bolder is seriously one of the best bass players I've ever seen.

Oh yeah, I've said this before and I'll say it again: everyone who's ignored UH for the past 30 years check out Sea of Light (1995). I know their output since Byron has been patchy to say the least but this one's a true gem. Same lineup as on WtS except Lee Kerslake is the drummer on this one.

:kickass:

Time to pimp a new album. Don't do it that often, just when I think it's REAL good.
I kinda lost track with Heep late 80's. So when I saw the new album "Wake the Sleeper", I was very curious how they sound these days... What a suprise !!!!
This is a very solid hardrock album, one of the best I heard in last years. Some pretty "hard" uptempo songs and a few real good melodic songs. Great roaring Hammond, just as in the early Heep days !! If this was released in the 70's-80's I'm pretty sure it would have been regarded as a "classic" rock album.

So .... Download, listen and buy if you like it !!

Going to see them live on November 11th :headbang:

Yep, great album that I bought before downloading it, just after listening some samples. Quite heavy at times, excellent classic hard rock. Bernie Shaw is an excellent singer that never gets any recognition as it seems and it's a shame.

Highly recommended album.

I'd love to see them live someday, but they never play in Canada...

I think Classic Rock's comments sums it all...
WTS is a mighty fine album, whereas DP IMHO haven't released anything listenable for years...

That's not true. Deep Purple's Bananas and Rapture Of The Deep are very good albums IMO, while not as good and "heavy" as the latest Heep though.

Oh yeah, I've said this before and I'll say it again: everyone who's ignored UH for the past 30 years check out Sea of Light (1995). I know their output since Byron has been patchy to say the least but this one's a true gem. Same lineup as on WtS except Lee Kerslake is the drummer on this one.

You're right, Sea Of Light is an awesome album too, like Wake The Sleeper is. Classic hard rock at its best. Too bad these albums don't sell a lot these days...

That's not true. Deep Purple's Bananas and Rapture Of The Deep are very good albums IMO, while not as good and "heavy" as the latest Heep though.

"Bananas" is an awsome album probably the best since "The House Of Blue Light", ROTD on the other hand is a weak effort. I'm looking forward to see what would come next. Since Morse came on board they seem to have a sinusoidal production: a good album, a weak album, a good album, a weak album, so I expect the next to be good :D

:headbang: Amazing album "sea of light". As good as classics.

I love David Byron´s voice (in my top 3) but Bernie is excellent.

About "Wake the sleeper", repeiting what some of you have said. One of the best albums from 2008. It´s a pity that Lee Kerslake isn´t in the band anymore but I didn´t expect such a good album. :worship:

Here's the setlist for the current tour:

heepfiles.info said:
WAKE THE SLEEPER TOUR 2008

* WAKE THE SLEEPER
* OVERLOAD
* TEARS OF THE WORLD
* STEALIN'
* SUNRISE
* HEAVEN'S RAIN
* LIGHT OF A THOUSAND STARS
* GYPSY
* LOOK AT YOURSELF
* WHAT KIND OF GOD
* GHOST OF THE OCEAN
* ANGELS WALK WITH YOU
* SHADOW
* WAR CHILD
* JULY MORNING
* EASY LIVIN'
* LADY IN BLACK

In a rather Maiden-esque fashion they seem to play the entire new album. Not completely back-to-back though which is a good idea IMO. Most of their old smash hits are there as well so the more nostalgic fans should be somewhat pleased too...

Sadly I won't be seeing this but carnut or anyone else planning to catch this tour, be sure to post a review afterwards.

I'll post a little review after the concert. Looking very much forward to see Heep !! Also thanks for the tip on "Sea of Light"; that's a very good album I missed back than !!!

The new Heep is, bar none, the year's best album....surprisingly.

Even more surprising is that the new Extreme is right behind it. Extreme!?!?
From out of nowhere, the year's two best releases (IMO, of course) are NOT what I'd have ever guessed many months ago!

The new Heep is, bar none, the year's best album....surprisingly.

Even more surprising is that the new Extreme is right behind it. Extreme!?!?
From out of nowhere, the year's two best releases (IMO, of course) are NOT what I'd have ever guessed many months ago!

Extreme o_O ??????
Will have to check that out to believe it :p

I'm getting really into Bigelf last weeks. Think I need to pimp that for a while.....Bombastic-symphonic-70's-retro-glam-doom-metal stuff :loco:

Extreme o_O ??????
Will have to check that out to believe it :p

I'm getting really into Bigelf last weeks. Think I need to pimp that for a while.....Bombastic-symphonic-70's-retro-glam-doom-metal stuff :loco:

I was never much of an Extreme fan, but the new one is just amazing....it's one of those rare albums that has ZERO filler....every track is unique.
Granted, it still sounds like Extreme so if you're not keen on their old stuff you probably wont like this.

And, yes, a big thumbs-up on BigElf...they're probably my greatest "find" this year. I'm shocked that a band THIS GOOD has flown under the radar for so long. They should be stars. :worship:

If the band plays Calgary, Vancouver or Vegas then I'll probably go. While WTS is a great record (had my copy for months now from CD Japan), the setlist is disappointing. It would be great to limit the WTS songs to about 3 (Tears, Book, God) and play a wide variety of tunes (Name of the Game, Golden Palace, Come Back To Me, Rain, Wonderworld, The Magician's Birthday, Poet's Justice, Think It Over, Keep On Ridin' etc etc etc).

Here's the setlist for the current tour:

In a rather Maiden-esque fashion they seem to play the entire new album. Not completely back-to-back though which is a good idea IMO. Most of their old smash hits are there as well so the more nostalgic fans should be somewhat pleased too...

Sadly I won't be seeing this but carnut or anyone else planning to catch this tour, be sure to post a review afterwards.