Pimpin' time; the new Uriah Heep album !!

Here's the setlist for the current tour:

In a rather Maiden-esque fashion they seem to play the entire new album. Not completely back-to-back though which is a good idea IMO. Most of their old smash hits are there as well so the more nostalgic fans should be somewhat pleased too...

Sadly I won't be seeing this but carnut or anyone else planning to catch this tour, be sure to post a review afterwards.

That's a killer setlist as far as I'm concerned, cause the new disc rules. I'd have loved a couple ones from Sea Of Light though. If only they could play in Quebec, Canada...

Just saw Heep live. Mix wasn't 100% but for the rest a magic concert. With "Gypsy" I kind of felt back the moment I was 12 and played that record day in and out....
As said they play the complete new album wich isn't a problem at all. The songs sound as good live as they do on CD !!
Great show, if they come in a town nearby try to see them !! :headbang: :headbang:

Woa, an origional Heepster here and I missed this thread way back. This is great news, the last Heep tape I bought was Raging Silence and that was a real disappointment, they just headed the wrong way mid 70's and I stopped following, then I bought Raging Silence and was further destroyed. I will have to buy these two you guys speak of. Early Heep, simplistic and redundant as it was... was some of the best proto metal their was. I was checking out some current Heep vids on youtube awhile back and Bernie Shaw is an awesome vocalist and they sounded great. Now old Byron vids are pretty shameless and I didnt need that either as his studio work was awesome and he is one of my favorite vocalists.

Rapture of the Deep is a great album, but I still havent heard Bananas. I would place the vocals as the low point, which suprised me, at one time Gillan could do no wrong in my book, he seemed lacking of any dynamics here, nearly raping through most of the recording, but the riffs and grooves are great... as are the solos. I listen to it fairly regular since buying it a few years back.

Rapture of the Deep is a great album, but I still havent heard Bananas. I would place the vocals as the low point, which suprised me, at one time Gillan could do no wrong in my book, he seemed lacking of any dynamics here, nearly raping through most of the recording, but the riffs and grooves are great... as are the solos. I listen to it fairly regular since buying it a few years back.

I definitively put ROTD way down "Bananas", if you liked the first you must listen to the second is a proof that DP can rock as hell any time they want (the question being do they want it still?)

As for UH, sorry I'm a stubborn purist, I stopped at "The Magician's Birthday", I may get someday the rest of the Byron/Hensley/Box albums, but I'm not intersted in their sequential material, I have a compilation and that's enough for me. On the other hand I have to pimp "Blood On The Highway", Hensley solo album of 2007, it's his biography in the form of an album sung mostly by Jorn Lande, and I have to say is one of the best hard rock albums in many years.

You really should download "Wake the Sleeper" Wyvern ! It's top notch classic rock/metal !!! Just do it ! :)

i guess this is a thread to recommend some music. not really metal but check out:
black crowes-warpaint
lindsey buckingham- gift of screws
anything by sting or the police

I definitively put ROTD way down "Bananas", if you liked the first you must listen to the second is a proof that DP can rock as hell any time they want (the question being do they want it still?)

As for UH, sorry I'm a stubborn purist, I stopped at "The Magician's Birthday", I may get someday the rest of the Byron/Hensley/Box albums, but I'm not intersted in their sequential material, I have a compilation and that's enough for me. On the other hand I have to pimp "Blood On The Highway", Hensley solo album of 2007, it's his biography in the form of an album sung mostly by Jorn Lande, and I have to say is one of the best hard rock albums in many years.

You, having heard Bananas first may be why you find fault with Rapture, me not having heard Bananas enjoyed Rapture, someday I will pick up Bananas. Im an old Morse freak too, having been on board with the Dregs first three albums, they blew my mind, but here again there are later Dregs albums I never had or heard. Someday I want to pick up the two Kansas albums with Morse as well. My music purchases are random and rare and I have missed alot of stuff. Prior to Rapture the last Purple tape I bought was Slaves and Masters (something along that lines) and I was somewhat disappointed with that as well, way too poppy/commercial.

I hear you on the Heep, Look At Yourself and Demons and Wizards were my regular blasters in the early 70's, Magicians BD and Sweet Freedom were a step down to me but still have some great stuff. I also love Salisbury. However if they are really getting down to it again with this new one and the mid 90's album I should have them. Heep, just like so many other early 70's hardrock bands took a great fall mid/late 70's when they were forced to compete with more popish bands that were the fad, for example Journey and Foreigner, who were competeing with... ah hem.... disco and other panzy ass music that became status quo. Nugent being one of the few that didnt budge from ass kickin music.

Thanks for the heads-up on this Hensley album, with Jorn... sounds inviting. Tell me more.

I will always treasure the early hardrock of bands like Zep, Heep, Rooster, Purple, James Gang, Guess Who, Mountain, Hendrix and Cream even bluezer stuff like Trower, ZZ Top and Humble Pie. Everything for the most part went to hell mid 70's, this is when I went to fusion like The Dregs, Return to Forever, Jeff Beck, Ponty, DiMeola or progressive like Kansas and Crack the Sky. As for rock thank goodness for the likes of Nugent, Rush and VanHalen... I hated Foreigner and Kiss with a passion, teeny bopper/girly rock at its best {worst}{if the girls like it... it probably sucks :lol:}. I actually didnt even like AC/DC much back in the day, now I like it for party music.

You, having heard Bananas first may be why you find fault with Rapture, me not having heard Bananas enjoyed Rapture, someday I will pick up Bananas.

Reasoning accepted, it may happened to me too. Unlike you I'm less random in my purchases and usually I follow a band chronologically. Again I recommend "Bananas" extensively.

Prior to Rapture the last Purple tape I bought was Slaves and Masters (something along that lines) and I was somewhat disappointed with that as well, way too poppy/commercial.

I like SAM a lot, said that I believe it was the album that should not have been. Blackmore and Gillan had a fight again and Gillan left, Blackmore pressured to have JLT inside and frankly is kind like a weird Rainbow album, I'm not much a fan of JLT and I believe his presence always weaken the albums (same as Rainbow and Malmsteen). The album is indeed poppy and not very dignifying of Purple IMO.

I hear you on the Heep, Look At Yourself and Demons and Wizards were my regular blasters in the early 70's, Magicians BD and Sweet Freedom were a step down to me but still have some great stuff. I also love Salisbury.

"Magician's Birthday" it is very good and stay in my pack of must be albums from UH, haven't checked yet "Sweet Freedom", "Wonderworld", "Return To Fantasy" and "High And Mighty" but the usual consensus is that the material on those albums are subpar to the classic UH. As for "Salisbury" and in special the title track I consider it one of the best progressive albums of the band.

Thanks for the heads-up on this Hensley album, with Jorn... sounds inviting. Tell me more.

I bought it to fill up a haul, basically because Jorn was in it (I'm a sucker for the guy's vocals) and being a Hensley album I didn't expect a weak product. Hensley did a rendition of his biography in a very intimate melodic hard rock album, recorded and using Spanish musicians plus Jorn on most songs, but also himself, Eve Gallagher (a great bluesy female voclas), Glenn Hughes and John Lawton (who replaced Byron after 1976). I recommend also this album extensively to fans of good hard rock.

NP: Seventh One - 'Eyes Of The Nation'

You, having heard Bananas first may be why you find fault with Rapture, me not having heard Bananas enjoyed Rapture, someday I will pick up Bananas. Im an old Morse freak too, having been on board with the Dregs first three albums, they blew my mind, but here again there are later Dregs albums I never had or heard. Someday I want to pick up the two Kansas albums with Morse as well. My music purchases are random and rare and I have missed alot of stuff. Prior to Rapture the last Purple tape I bought was Slaves and Masters (something along that lines) and I was somewhat disappointed with that as well, way too poppy/commercial.

I hear you on the Heep, Look At Yourself and Demons and Wizards were my regular blasters in the early 70's, Magicians BD and Sweet Freedom were a step down to me but still have some great stuff. I also love Salisbury. However if they are really getting down to it again with this new one and the mid 90's album I should have them. Heep, just like so many other early 70's hardrock bands took a great fall mid/late 70's when they were forced to compete with more popish bands that were the fad, for example Journey and Foreigner, who were competeing with... ah hem.... disco and other panzy ass music that became status quo. Nugent being one of the few that didnt budge from ass kickin music.

I will always treasure the early hardrock of bands like Zep, Heep, Rooster, Purple, James Gang, Guess Who, Mountain, Hendrix and Cream even bluezer stuff like Trower, ZZ Top and Humble Pie. Everything for the most part went to hell mid 70's, this is when I went to fusion like The Dregs, Return to Forever, Jeff Beck, Ponty, DiMeola or progressive like Kansas and Crack the Sky. As for rock thank goodness for the likes of Nugent, Rush and VanHalen... I hated Foreigner and Kiss with a passion, teeny bopper/girly rock at its best {worst}{if the girls like it... it probably sucks :lol:}. I actually didnt even like AC/DC much back in the day, now I like it for party music.

you do know journey started out way different but hired steve perry and changed their sound because the record label was about to drop them and they owed a few million to the label. the original members of journey were basically members of santana's band.
the real journey:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-mHqw7XfE&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhRranNK4lE&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAvc6wDiI&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICbGFXmVh8E&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTHhVJp3KY4&feature=related[/ame]

Yes, I knew this Matt, my cousin turned me on to the first "Journey" album back in '75. Some great songs there with a progressive/fusion and jam feel and I always liked Gregg Rolies voice. Neil Schons guitar playing shines and the whole band show the Santana influence at times. We also played Look into the Future alot. I recently bought their first three on CD's to hear them again. "Next" has the early signs of their becoming more commercial and I'm not crazy about that one. I mean some of the radio songs were OK and Perry may have been amounst the most capable, dynamic and pleasing vocalists ever but the music was so commercial, sterilized, poppish or something. I just didnt like the direction so many of the rock bands took, most likely under pressure from the labels and influence of the times.