Pink Floyd question...

FANTOME

Nov 7, 2001
Visit site
Hi
i juste have a question about a song on Pink Floyd...

Does anyone know to whom is dedicaded the song Shine On You Crazy Diamond ?? from the "I wish you where here" album

thx!!:err:

I would first like to say Pink Floyd is my favorite band (along with Opeth), and to answer your question as Hail Eris! sais it is dedicated to Syd.

Originally posted by Soul4Raziel
I would first like to say Pink Floyd is my favorite band (along with Opeth),

I see you have great taste in music. Before Opeth, Pink Floyd was on the pedestal of being the band I respected the most musically.

that's such a wonderful dedication that song...
"well you wore out your welcome with random precision"
brilliant.

pink floyd are perhaps my very favourite band.

"Piper at the gates of dawn" is a good example of Syd Barretts' ability as their main songwriter before Roger Waters had to more or less take over. David Gilmour was brought in because poor Syd was too fried from all the LSD he was taking to play his guitar.

FANTOME said:
Hi
i juste have a question about a song on Pink Floyd...

Does anyone know to whom is dedicaded the song Shine On You Crazy Diamond ?? from the "I wish you where here" album

thx!!:err:

Syd Barrett. (Yes, I know. Someone already responded and answered this quite some time ago...More than two years ago)

Also, wanted to add this: The last part of "Death Whispered a lullaby" (From 'Damnation') reminds me of the Pink Floyd song "Julia Dream" (from 'Relics'). Might Opeth have been influenced or inspired by this?

David Gilmour= guitaring God. After a big night out, I would lie in bed with 'shine on you crazy diamond'. Gilmour's guitar work literaly brought tears to my eyes and a shiver down my spine.

I still think 'The Final Cut' is one of the most depressing albums ever made, I always feel like shit after listining to it yet i always come back for more..

Woah, didn't look at the date on the original post. I guess while we're on the subject, I'd like to mention the very Pink Floydian section in "A Fair Judgement". I've thought that from the first time I heard it, and I love that part of the song.

deliverance said:
haha, i expected that post to be the first reply to this thread. and i expected it to be approx. 5 min or less from the time of the orig. post.

Maybe it's because the post was made years ago by someone who last posted in December 2002, before he was even here (unless he just had a username change). Who knows...most of all...who cares? :p

Most of Dark Side of the Moon is for Syd also. And of course, so is The Wall. In the middle of the Opeth song By the Pain I See in Others, Mikael sounds a lot like Gilmore vocally.

I never thought of DSOTM being about Syd.. please explain :)

Pink Floyd is probably my number one all around favorite band. "Echoes" is my favorite song ever made. Its such an amazing song. That was a great era for the floyd

Dark Side of the Moon is about everyday things that drive people to insanity over time. Small sections were inspired by Syd, but the album was not "about him." The Wall album/movie were also Syd-inspired, but not written for him. The Wall was kind of a mixture of Roger and Syd's life, mostly Roger's.

This is an old ass thread.

Hail Eris! said:
I see you have great taste in music. Before Opeth, Pink Floyd was on the pedestal of being the band I respected the most musically.
It's fun to listen to the influence of Pink Floyd in Opeth's music.