pink noise to position mic 2013

If I am recording with students where I teach and don't have re-amping facilities I use a "help you sleep" APP on the iphone that plays white noise.
Connected with a 3.5mm>6mm adaptor to the amp.
Works fine bearing in mind white noise doesn't have same energy across the frequency range like pink noise, but good enough to find and avoid the 4k ice pick to the ear sound.

Gonna bump this, cause here's my experience with that method so far:

First time I tried this after I read this thread, the reamps turned out aweful. I went so far off the dustcap, that I only had hollow dull-iness.
Couldn't seem to get it right after a few tries, cause I always went too far off center.
So I just stuck to my "old" ways of placing the mic dustcap-meets cone ish, and then move mic-reamp-listen-repeat.

I did a few reamp sessions this way, each time getting to know the cab and the speaker a bit better...been having the Mesa Oversize for about a year now, but didn't have a lot of chance to
do larger reamping sessions to get it to know really well.

So since I felt like now I know a lot better which kind of sound I like from the cab, I tried it again with pink noise this week.
And suddenly it made "click", and I knew what to listen too while moving the mic, and which of the highs are the good, and which are the bad ones.
That was really hard to hear the first time I tried it, cause I couldn't relate it to how it would sound with a guitar playing.

I tried it like 5 times, each time the mic looked like it was placed really really similar, but it never sounded 100% the same. But pretty nice, most of the time.
Really neat method to get you in the ballpark with a nice starting point, or even with a position that doesn't need any more tweaking.
Altho I don't think that this last session overall turned out "nicer" reamps, it was certainly easier and didn't take as long to get it where I wanted it.

Gonna bump this, cause here's my experience with that method so far:

First time I tried this after I read this thread, the reamps turned out aweful. I went so far off the dustcap, that I only had hollow dull-iness.
Couldn't seem to get it right after a few tries, cause I always went too far off center.
So I just stuck to my "old" ways of placing the mic dustcap-meets cone ish, and then move mic-reamp-listen-repeat.

I did a few reamp sessions this way, each time getting to know the cab and the speaker a bit better...been having the Mesa Oversize for about a year now, but didn't have a lot of chance to
do larger reamping sessions to get it to know really well.

So since I felt like now I know a lot better which kind of sound I like from the cab, I tried it again with pink noise this week.
And suddenly it made "click", and I knew what to listen too while moving the mic, and which of the highs are the good, and which are the bad ones.
That was really hard to hear the first time I tried it, cause I couldn't relate it to how it would sound with a guitar playing.

I tried it like 5 times, each time the mic looked like it was placed really really similar, but it never sounded 100% the same. But pretty nice, most of the time.
Really neat method to get you in the ballpark with a nice starting point, or even with a position that doesn't need any more tweaking.
Altho I don't think that this last session overall turned out "nicer" reamps, it was certainly easier and didn't take as long to get it where I wanted it.

I've had a similar experience haha

Seems pink noise really is your friend with alot of things here, tried it once with mixing, now i always use it. Have to try this one also.

Gonna give this topic a bump.
Lots of newer members looking for mic placement advice.
I always use this method and it always works.
When I want to use 2 mics I just reverse polarity on the second mic then listen for the lowest signal ensuring maximum phase summing when polarity is flipped back to normal.

I completely understand and do/have used pink noise to position mics when using more than one mic. But I understand you are using pink noise to position the first mic. How are you doing this and what are you listening for? Thanks.

Just found this thread, so glad I did!

I already heard of this technique but never knew how to apply it myself really.
I did a little test run using michrich's very good explanation on how to do is, and the result came out very pleasing to me :)

https://copy.com/8LD2CDAVUYS9INfk

Only played with the mic positioning for like 30 seconds tops, normally it took me ages.

Gear used : OD808->Marshall Valvestate 1x12 open back combo (with a Celestion G12-T if i'm not mistaken) -> Audix i5 -> Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

I'm gonna make this technique my standard as from now :) Thanks mickrich!