Pinky Problems

BornInAForest

New Metal Member
Jan 28, 2008
Hey, Ive been playing guitar for 3 years now, and Ive just started to notice that my pinky is distant from the fretboard when im playing (I got a vid to show), Im not exactly sure if its a huge problem, or if its normal, or if its effecting my playing, but if it is, you think you could tell me or direct me to a good way to stop it? http://s113.photobucket.com/player....204/saneoner/Untitled_0009.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Thanks -Dylan

link sends me to an epilleptic photobucket page...keeps flashing, doesn't display anything.

A good way to tell if it's affecting your playing would be if you're having trouble playing stuff because of your pinky. If you aren't, then it should be fine (unless there's some carpal tunnel crap i don't know about).

Hey Dylan, its Marlon! Glad to see you joined Ultimatemetal.
Anyways, I experience the exact same problem actually.My father pointed it out to me, and I try to fix it, but it a very frustrating, nearly painful thing to overcome for me.

The only way I can think of that will affect your playing is if you're playing fast. This is logical as it would take longer for your finger to fret the note having to go a further distance. I reckon you could "cure" it by playing more with your pinky. As in notes you'd normally consider using your ring finger for, substitute for your pinky. Your pinky should become used to the fretted position if you get me. Ok im shit at explaining but I hope I helped :lol:

Oh and the link doesn't work

Link doesn't load for me. Maybe use a picture instead of a video.
Are you saying you don't use your pinky when you play? That's a problem by itself.
I've been playing guitar almost as long as you have, and I will say that when I started using my pinky (4 months after I started playing, no less) it made scales and chords faster and easier to play.

I don't use my pink at all on the first strings, just for fast runs on the bottom 2, and it's worked just fine for 16 years.

I know it's more about preference but, I've always played with my thumb over the top of the fretboard/nearer the top of the neck rather than in the middle of the neck (with the exception of economy picking and enduring picking runs). Not only do you have more control but the position the hand will assume makes the tendons contract and your fingers to curl more, bringing them closer to the fretboard. It may take time adjust to but I'm sure you'd find it worth while if you find your pinky is kept down more ;)

I have the same problem. I use it but barely. I try to use it more often but after a while I already replaced the pinky with other finger instead.

I use it at every opportunity possible - hence i dont have this problem. Whenever i think it would be "easier" (read lazier) to use a different finger, i force myself to learn with the pinkie. Of course, if its more economical, i use what's required.