Pitchfork's Watershed review is excellent!

Brooks

Eyes Wide Open
Nov 15, 2001
Bay Area, California
skloid.blogspot.com
They totally nailed it, I think!
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/51006-watershed

18660.jpg

Opeth
Watershed [Roadrunner; 2008]
Rating: 7.5

Not all prog is created equal. Take prog metal, for instance. In one corner are Mastodon, who are prog to the core: long songs, lots of noodling, worship of 1970s Genesis (at least on the part of drummer Brann Dailor, an avowed Phil Collins acolyte). In the other corner are Dream Theater, who are equally prog: long songs, lots of noodling, worship of 1970s Rush (at least on the part of drummer Mike Portnoy, an avowed Neil Peart acolyte). Hipsters love Mastodon, but they won't go near Dream Theater. Dream Theater fans are equally unlikely to sport Mastodon t-shirts.

Perhaps this split is due to friction (in the musical sense). Mastodon are closer to prog as it was in the 70s-- self-indulgent, yes, but also earthy and analog. Dream Theater are the apex of prog's, um, progression since then. They're digitally clean and hyper-precise, poster boys for Pro Tools. For whatever reason, the white belt set gravitates towards prog's older aesthetic (see also the Mars Volta), while men with ponytails discuss kick drum pedals in Dream Theater forums. If "indie" is an aesthetic, it stops at certain thresholds of precision and heaviness.

Opeth, interestingly, have straddled both prog aesthetics. The Swedish band's first record, 1995's Orchid, was wonderfully raw. It was half death metal and half "other stuff"-- folk, prog, blues, jazz. The rawness came from a low budget and nascent songwriting, but it conveyed an atmosphere that Opeth never regained. Their records afterwards decreased in friction as their chops improved. In 2002, the band became practically frictionless. It split its heavy and light sides into two records, Deliverance and Damnation; the latter was gorgeously intimate. 2005's Ghost Reveries likewise went down smoothly, like a rich hot chocolate.

Watershed is an intriguing exercise in discontinuity. Unlike Orchid, which was jagged because the band didn't know how to do otherwise, Watershed finds Opeth willfully flying their freak flag. An acoustic intro with pleasant male/female singing leads straight into barreling death metal. A piano wanders into "Hessian Peel" apropos of nothing. "Burden" has an acoustic outro in which one guitarist detunes the other's pegs. It's delightfully horrible-sounding; such goofiness is refreshing for a band that's almost offensively virtuosic.

"The Lotus Eater" offers the greatest jolts. An intro of quiet humming drops into what seems like the middle of a death metal song-- but with disarmingly sunny vocal harmonies. Three minutes in, dissonant guitar lines spiral downwards like DNA strands. Later, a downright funky vamp appears, complete with chattering clavinet, as if Stevie Wonder had dropped by the studio. Aiding such absurdity are Opeth's two new members. Fredrik Åkesson brings lead guitar flash to a band that's prided itself on restraint, while drummer Martin Axenrot swings with verve. (Near "Hessian Peel"'s end is a monstrous groove that's like Meshuggah dancing a jig.)

Despite these hijinks, Watershed won't convert Mastodon fans en masse. It still has too many renaissance faire moments; its death metal is as aggressive as ever. After 18 years, Opeth's trademarks are well-established-- sinuous riffs, retro 70s keyboards, Mikael Åkerfeldt's Jekyll/Hyde act of death growls and mellifluous singing. (He sounds like your lovable Swedish uncle who once recorded a folk album.) But Watershed has friction, and friction brings heat. Those left cold by metal's po-faced tendencies might well warm up to it.

-Cosmo Lee, June 04, 2008

The review itself is ok, the rating is way too low iyam. Pitchfork reviews are weird, I either completely agree with them or completely disagree with them, almost never is it a ok review where I like aspects of it and dislike others. The metal archives reviews are hilarious, theres so many hilarious reviews on that site, check the guys review who gave Watershed 30% haha. The 4% Still Life review is a classic as well. Oh and the Deathspell Omega Fas review of "57%- and experiment gone quite wrong" LOL.

Yeah those MA guys are comedy geniuses. They are to the metal forum world as Yngwie Malmsteen's ego is to the shredding community.

EDIT: i will rephrase in the way to which the OP is most accustomed

Dog those MA guys are hella retarded. They hella relate to the metal forum world as Yngwie Malmsteen's hella inflated ego is to the shredding community.

Interesting review, usually Richdork write a load of shite. They do talk a load of nonsense about Mastodon there - their songs aren't that long for one thing, but what's this business about Mastodon fans not liking Opeth and vice-versa? Personally I'm a huge fan of both, and I know Mikael likes them.

Good point comparing it to Orchid. That's what I've been thinking about it, it's like they've made it jagged on purpose this time, but they're able to do it better because it's deliberate.

In one corner are Mastodon, who are prog to the core: long songs
Off the top of my head I can think of a mere three songs in the Mastodon catalogue that can be categorized as "long": Hearts Alive, Trainwreck and Trilobite. They have more "short" songs than "long" ones.
Hipsters love Mastodon, but they won't go near Dream Theater.
This I agree with. Yay Mastodon, nay Dream Theather.

Yeah I agree with a lot of the points on the review, especially about the jarring composition of Watershed. It doesn't really make sense though, to me it seemed like Opeth was finding their sound during Orchid and Morningrise then they churned out 3 classics which all had their own cohesive sounds and themes. Even with the D&D albums and Ghost Reveries, almost all Opeth songs had a sense of completion or "went somewhere" musically. But at times on Watershed I just scratch my head and wonder why they threw in certain parts. It's not even about structure, I love songs like Baying of the Hounds and even When which have little/no structure and repeating parts yet still have a flow, but at times interludes on Watershed just don't make sense.

[/end rant]

I think he's right - Opeth are at their best when they don't do things by the book. They have this uncanny ability to be able to 'feel' the song rather than manufacture it from theory. That's what makes them unique and that's why Watershed works, even though by all rights it shouldn't.

Opeth are at their best when they don't do things by the book. They have this uncanny ability to be able to 'feel' the song rather than manufacture it from theory. That's what makes them unique and that's why Watershed works, even though by all rights it shouldn't.

Agreed. In fact, with almost all good prog, you can sense the 'feel' that the musicians have. You need that instinct to be able to venture outside of normal parameters but still have the song make sense (or even NOT make sense, but in the right kind of way).
I don't think they're unique in that ability, but they definitely have that talent.

Vivören;7315320 said:
Off the top of my head I can think of a mere three songs in the Mastodon catalogue that can be categorized as "long": Hearts Alive, Trainwreck and Trilobite. They have more "short" songs than "long" ones.

I've seen people make this mistake on several occasions. I even once saw an article that claimed they wrote '20 minute epics', which is utter nonsense. The closest thing is Hearts Alive, which is about 13 minutes, but that's a major exception, and as you say, generally they're about four minutes-ish.

If being a hipster means loving Mastodon and puking on Dream Theater, then sign me the fuck up.

I've always ben a bit perplexed at the hipster following of Mastodon, I see a lot of 'scene' types wearing their shirts. I always wonder if it's semi-ironic hipster-metal-worship. I was dragged to see Slayer a year or two ago (I'm not a fan) and there were a lot of scene kids and hipsters there too.

That's actually a pretty good review, which is surprising since that site's stance on metal is pretty much "mastodon, isis good, nothing else worthy of even reviewing" which is what 99% of those hipster dorks now adhere to as a result.

I like this review, I'm definitely in the love Mastodon hate Dream Theater (for the most part), even though I love Rush and have never really gotten into Genesis; but I'm having a hard time with Watershed, because they're trying to be wierd. It's like all the other albums were mostly melodic prog death and this album is dissonant prog death, I'm gotten to like the first five, but Hessian and Hex just haven't clicked at all for me.

I've always ben a bit perplexed at the hipster following of Mastodon, I see a lot of 'scene' types wearing their shirts. I always wonder if it's semi-ironic hipster-metal-worship. I was dragged to see Slayer a year or two ago (I'm not a fan) and there were a lot of scene kids and hipsters there too.

they, and rather new slayer albums do share alot in common with many metalcore bands nowadays. same could go for the scene crowd for BtBaM...though i say that stems more from their earlier albums that more recent ones...