Placebo Manc Last Night

blackeyed

original rude boy
Nov 7, 2003
england
www.faceparty.co.uk
Well it was another night out for me and Vikki last night:headbang: Only this time we didnt blow my bank balance and we came home too:rolleyes: Went to see Placebo at the Manchester Apollo. And heres a little run down of the night for yas.
doors open at 7 me and vikram strollin at 9, buy a pint, have a ciggie, find a decent spec and then they come on.
i used to be really into Placebo but recently i have thought they are just milking before people stop listening as most bands do. was impressed when i went to see them last february but then i thought they were a pile of passed day shite when i saw them at leeds last summer, this gig was something else though. i dont think they suit playing to such a huge crowd as leeds, they looked lost on stage and there was no impact - it was pretty shit (and they hid a session bassist behind a speaker, which really pissed me off)
but the Apollo aint all that massive so i think that helped in getting them across better or something.
The lighting and stage projection was fucking amazing, best ive seen at a gig yet. started off with like a massive white sheet and the band were behind, and the lights were flashing on and off from loads of different angles from behind them, casting their shadows on the sheet in loads of different ways while they were playing - got the crowd going a bit. then the sheet fell down (which i found a bit cheese-ridden.....but i suppose they couldnt get rid of it any other way....coulda burned it - dangerous, but it would have sorted the groupies screaming 'brian i love you' out .... two birds, one stone like) and the band started the set.
Can never remember set lists so im not writing it up :lol: however they did play a nice variety of oldies and newies, took Special K, Blackeyed and another track from the album Blackmarket Music and Every Me.. , Without You I'm Nothing, and Pure Morning - which me and vikki turned into Pyar Morning in our loudest broadest scal accents, needless to say we got snarlled at...but hey - just cuz we're not miserable bastards! i think there was another track from that album but like i say im shit at remembering set lists...
They played a fair few from the lastest album Sleeping With Ghosts, including the title track and Protect Me From What I Want (I'm sure the Don will be pleased to hear ;) ) but it was the screen projection that was the show stopper:OMG: Centrefolds saw cracked photos projected onto the back screen of all the old actresses in their most famed poses, Blackeyed had year book photographs of people they went to school with with phrases written over them like 'Helen is gay' and 'Who am i?' and other such screts and opinions ....quite funny to watch and as i feel im the human embodiment of said track i thoroughly enjoyed it :lol: as usual with a Placebo gig, they did a great mix of mad tracks and slowing the pace down a little (so that all the goff groupies' eyeliner doesnt run down their faces in the heat)
And as expected they played a cover of Where is My Mind by the legendary Pixies - the whole crowd was giving it the 'oooo ooooo ooooo' s :lol: (Can't wait to see them at T in Park this summer :hotjump: )
So they finished on that cover and then we allfucked off into the streets of Manchester - all deparately trying to ctach the last train home (ooo that sounds like a line from Protect Me From What I Want :lol: ) stuffed me face with a Subway and got on the old train.
Some LEsbian was eyeing Vikkram up all the way home :lol: hahahahhaha proper funny....wellshe was wearing her old lady's nighty-come-shmock....
A good night was had by all, well me and Vik at least :wave:

Italian BMT naturally....only i couldnt have it hot and i like it hot... 'the microwave has chemicals in it' .... i felt like saying 'listen mate ive been living in Widnes for the last 4 years, chemical central, a bit of domestos isnt gona put me 6 foot under' ..... but i just ate it cold instead :rolleyes:

i bet that elska would be very jalous about that placebo gig

btw, how sounds there latest sigle 'english summer rain' sound?
cause that song is soooooooooo amazing, best dance song EVER

blackeyed said:
Italian BMT naturally....only i couldnt have it hot and i like it hot... 'the microwave has chemicals in it' .... i felt like saying 'listen mate ive been living in Widnes for the last 4 years, chemical central, a bit of domestos isnt gona put me 6 foot under' ..... but i just ate it cold instead :rolleyes:

I like steak, cheese and jalepenos. Foot longers like

marginalé said:
i bet that elska would be very jalous about that placebo gig

btw, how sounds there latest sigle 'english summer rain' sound?
cause that song is soooooooooo amazing, best dance song EVER
well on the album its not a dance track at all, i think they just changed it to appeal (which pisses me off) (christ, alot of things piss me off...) anyway, it sounded 'good' but i prefer it slower. infact come to think about it they change all the riffs a bit for a show, and they imcorporate other aspects of songs, whether it lyrics, a bit on the keyboard of whatever.

@strangelight, footlongers are h-obviously the best, vik likes roast chicken .... i've never had anything different......but the killer question is, what salad do you have....are you one to have a bit of whatever's going like?

blackeyed said:
well on the album its not a dance track at all, i think they just changed it to appeal (which pisses me off) (christ, alot of things piss me off...) anyway, it sounded 'good' but i prefer it slower. infact come to think about it they change all the riffs a bit for a show, and they imcorporate other aspects of songs, whether it lyrics, a bit on the keyboard of whatever.

@strangelight, footlongers are h-obviously the best, vik likes roast chicken .... i've never had anything different......but the killer question is, what salad do you have....are you one to have a bit of whatever's going like?

Im not fussy, i just say 'yeah' when they mention salad. Im too busy pointing at the chilis like. Never tried roast chicken though, Im starving now.. :erk:

Strangelight said:
Im not fussy, i just say 'yeah' when they mention salad. Im too busy pointing at the chilis like. Never tried roast chicken though, Im starving now.. :erk:
the salad is the most important part mister...chilis are the only i dont have, but i do like a shag load of black olives, they compliment the spicey meat really well.

Well in blackeyed! Sounds like a well good gig! So did they play "My sweet prince" or "The Crawl"? I saw them them twice so far last year at Rock am Ring and the year before in Düsseldorf! Both gigs were good like though i prefere the latter one due to reasons you mentioned above like, they reach the audience better in a hall like, though the RaR gig was far from bad.

So the single of English summer rain is a different from the album like? Not a winner blackeyed?

:cry:
why i wasnt there?
why wont they come over here? i saw them playing in stockholm last summer, best gig ever..they totally rocked everyone..i wish.ooh, how i wish..i just wanna see the again. :yell:

and about suckway..
i worked there a year ago, and the suckers still hasnt paid my last wage. :erk:
i even went to see a laywer about the thing but he said theres nothing that can be done to the matter cos they owe me so little (around 160eur). so please, dont support them suckers.

elzka said:
:cry:
why i wasnt there?
why wont they come over here? i saw them playing in stockholm last summer, best gig ever..they totally rocked everyone..i wish.ooh, how i wish..i just wanna see the again. :yell:
he, you can always come over to the werchter fest.

wow, proper, claire. i saw them hear this summer and it was an amazing experience really. pity they didnt play "the crawl" here. did they there?

marginalé - theyre playing werchter this summer? wow, i really need to come.

yeah i love the crawl and my sweet prince, shame they didnt play em, the only 'dark' ish song they played was protect me from what i want, and that aint that dark. @morpheus, the english version is the same as the album version its just that when they play it live (fromt eh three times ive seen em) they always speed it up so it more of a dance track. to me it doesnt seem like a 'dance tune' on teh album but i can kinda see what you mean marginale :)

blackeyed said:
the meat ball ones are nice too, and the honey mustard is boss. Salad? blehh just slap it on mate